PDA

View Full Version : OCZ Reaper HPC issue

BJD88
07-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi all,

I'm abit stuck and confused with the way my ram is running and is setup!

I'm running 6gb PC15000 triple channel ram and have noticed recently under task manager that not all of the ram is recognised (yes I am running 64bit win7 :p).. and under the system overview in the control panel its also listed only 2gb or 4gb is usable. To try and solve this, I took each module out one by one after testing to see how much ram was being read in the bios and it appears none of the modules are faulty, but I dont understand why my system would forget 2gb or 4gb of ram??? could this be due to voltage shortages?

I've been suspecting issues here as i've encountered various BSOD's at random times recently, 0x0C2 for example being the most recent, each error code i lookup seems to suggest a hardware issue.

Now, I'm also very confused about what BIOS settings I need to have in order to use this ram properly... When I first installed this ram I did change the timings from a friend's advice (as he seems to think he's abit of a pc whizz) to 7-7-7-16-1

I believe this is the ram I am using and it clearly states it runs at 8-8-8-28
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-15000-reaper-low-voltage-triple-channel-eol.html

I'd say im fairly good with computers, as I do home pc repairs but overclocking and BIOS stuff I struggle with lol. I just need to know what settings I should be using, voltage etc and possibly a quick guide on how to do this?

I have attached screenshots of my current Bios settings under the MIT tab.. and Advanced Dimm settings.. Hopefully these will show my bios.

*Note I have just recently set the timings to those listed on the OCZ website - the 7-7-7-16 i cant seem to change*

many thanks!
BJD

Dalo Harkin
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Right, as these are triple channel modules, are they all in the same bank A or B as each is a 'set' on its own.

Are you overclocking the CPU*? if so by what and is the RAM associated or disassociated from the OC?

* If you are not OC the RAM then I would set all the timings and voltages of the RAM to AUTO and then see what the POST displays the RAM as (speed)

If you dont see it then install and run CPUZ and it will tell you.

Memory issues can be hard to pinpoint as its not uncommon for a single or bank of MOBO dimms to 'go'

Dalo Harkin
08-03-2011, 08:58 AM
You state in the post that the RAM is PC15000 (DDR3) but at the bottom of your 'spec' it says PC8500 (DDR2)

For the above post I am assuming that you are using DDR3

BJD88
08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Dalo,

Yes, all three modules are plugged into their corresponding slots on the main board. As far as I know, I haven't altered anything to do with the CPU so it shouldn't be OC.

Last time I checked my POST i believe the ram speed was 1066.. so i'm very confused why CPUz would list this as PC8500F as i've just noticed that myself (must have copied and pasted the info in my spec at the bottom not realizing). The sticker on each module clearly states..

PC 15000, DDR3

Sorry for the confusion there.

I have attached screenshots from CPUz and a screenshot from the Ram section of my MoBo Manual.. I have plugged the modules into banks..

DDR3_1
DDR3_3
DDR3_5

many thanks!

Dalo Harkin
08-03-2011, 05:36 PM
No worries PC3-8500 is different from PC8500 is all :)
CPUZ is showing all 6Gig though, are you looking at the free RAM as opposed to total RAM
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and in task manager what does it show under physical memory?

BJD88
08-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi Dalo,

In the task manager is does list 6gb total counted Ram but at other times only 4gb has been 'found' so was curious about that.

ok so what Bios settings should I be ideally using with this Ram? bearing in mind I do a lot of graphics design and some gaming I would consider partial OC if it meant a noticeable performance enhancement.

cheers, BJD

Dalo Harkin
10-03-2011, 08:53 AM
if it lists 6GB then you are fine :)
TBH If you want to OC then you need to either go for it or leave standard on those i7 chips, think from memory you can get to around 4GHz per core (not far from a 100% overclock from standard) with a decent OC (you need a good case as well as cooler though, the H50 is fine, but you need to monitor the temps and run prime for at lease 24hours
let me know if you want to progress :)