PDA

View Full Version : Book to update my knowledge

PeterD
16-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Hi,
I'm new here so hello and I hope you can help.

I hope I'm in the right forum but if not please let me know.

My problem is that I am physically and mentally still in the last century as far as computer knowledge goes. Physically I am running WXP on a desktop though I am on broadband and do have an LED monitor). Mentally I hve not really followed developments in computer and mobile phone technology. E.g. I just about know what a Blackberry is and I don't understand words like skype, etc.

I realise that I could of course look things up but what I would really like is a book that will if possible "take me by the hand" and appropriately inform me.

Does such a book exist and if so what are the title and author?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

PeterD

Jelly Bean
16-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Hello and welcome Peter...

Please do not take offence on this reply....

But there are many diffrent type of books out there and they are titled such things like computers for dummies,internet for dummies.....Not a polite title I know and they are a rather large book....

Being a little lazy as you appear you could realy surf the internet and of course find out all the updated information for free.....

I have several pocket books by Peter Buckley and Duncan Clarke....I dont read them much these days but they are great cheap pocket sized books.....They do XP,iTunes,internet,links,MACS n OS X and a few others....

As you live in the UK,WHSmiths is a good starter for buying books....I usaly only buy from them when they have a sale though...

DK do a good computer book on XP,Vista and Microsoft Office older and latest versions.....Purchased from WHSmith....

You will even find an array of hardware books,Windows 7,Internet,etc all in Smiths....

Most of the books can be bought online via,Play.com with free delivery,Amazon and other online stores....

These books can only learn you so much,online help would deffinantly boost your knowledge.....

If you wish to learn more technical details of hardware then you would be better reading INTEL,AMD,NVIDIA,ATI Radeon,Seagate hard drives,these sites not only advertise the latest hardware but also software and under there support tab you can learn how to fix things with there written instructions.....

Starbuck
16-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi Peter,

always remember there's nothing like good old fashion..... asking!
If there's something you need to know, just ask about it in the appropriate forum and someone will reply to you.
I don't know your age, but i'm guessing that maybe you are what is known as a 'Silver surfer'. ( probably best you 'google' that )
The main thing is, you want to learn and those that want to learn will reap the benefits in the long run.

I don't understand words like skype
Here's a simple explanation:
suppose you have relatives or friends that live in another part of the world and ringing them is too expensive.....
Install 'skype' and talk to them through your pc for free.
It actually works.
The relative or friend has to also have skype installed on their system.
You also both need a set of headphones with a microphone attached.
Once you have both registered (which is free), you can talk as much as you want for free.
The internet has some advantages sometimes. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs4/i/2004/250/7/1/ROFL_by_b4sti.gif

As we always say..... Google is your friend. ( well so is any search engine to be honest)
if you want an answer to something.... type the question into the search box, you'll be surprised at how quick you can get an answer.
If the question has been asked on the internet before, it'll be there (in the search results) along with the answer.

PeterD
17-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you Jelly Bean & Starbuck. No, Jelly Bean I'm not offended by your reply. You're quite right that I'm lazy. I might also describe this as not wanting to spend time unnecessarily looking things up or getting a book that is only somewhat helpful. You're quite right that I'm a Silver Surfer.

To make it clearer what I am looking for. What I want is a book that describes the development of computer and related technology from (if possible) both an historical and a technological viewpoint so that I will be able to get an overall view of this development and see how the various details fit in as well as knowing how the various "bits" fit in and what the words mean. Do you know if such a book exists and, if so, the title and author.

A possible alternative might be a (preferably free) online course that will give me the same information.

Best wishes, PeterD