PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate file remover?

Dotty
06-02-2008, 06:49 PM
do any of you lovely people know of a free duplicate file checker/ remover? I tried a couple which weren't straightforward and took ages! thanks in advance. :)

AdvancedSetup
06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi Dotty,

Well any program that is searching for duplicates is going to take a LONG time to run as it's a very intensive operation.

I've not tried any of these types of programs in a long time myself but Googling around I found this site.

You could give it a try and let us know how it goes. Just be careful and as with any new software that deals with file manipulation you need to make sure you have a backup of your files.

http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/

Dotty
06-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Hi Dotty,

Well any program that is searching for duplicates is going to take a LONG time to run as it's a very intensive operation.

I've not tried any of these types of programs in a long time myself but Googling around I found this site.

You could give it a try and let us know how it goes. Just be careful and as with any new software that deals with file manipulation you need to make sure you have a backup of your files.

http://www.easyduplicatefinder.com/
thanks, I tried it out but I don't think it's for a beginner like me! the results combine duplicates + original files instead of simply duplicates so I thought better of deleting anything to be on the safe side :)

Bluesplayer.
06-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Hi Dotty.
In the Win98se days I did use a Duplicate file remover.
Now with larger hard drives cleaning out Duplicate files is not that necessary and can be a risk too far.
Unless your prepared to scan through all those Duplicates files to make sure there are no system files present Id leave all so called Duplicates where they are.

Kelly
07-02-2008, 01:28 AM
JV16 Power Tools has a dup catcher. It does a number of other things also.

Free 30 trial. Just Google and download it.

Kelly
08-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Keep in mind that any software including JV16 Power Tools may delete files that you really don't want deleted. It could also delete files that Windows needs to start. I've never used a dup delete program as I don't trust them. It's probably best to look for and delete dup files manually.

Before using any dup removal software to delete files, you really need to know exactly how the program works and what it will delete. Be VERY careful. Just in case the software deletes something that it shouldn't, be sure you have a full backup of your computer. I use Acronis True Image. It would require that you attach an external hard drive to your machine to do the backup.

I want to thank AdvanceSetup who contacted me about this and alerted me to the cautions that should be observed. I should have posted this warning in my original post.

Dotty
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM
thanks Bluesplayer and Kelly, I've decided to take your advice and leave well alone :)