PDA

View Full Version : r.a.m. problem windows constant crashing

daveygee007
31-03-2008, 02:24 AM
i have a pent 4 with 1 gig ram,windows microsoft xp sevice pack 2 and an nvidia card series 6200,

for some reason the pc barely got all the way through loading without it pausing or crashing,it does not crash then go to desktop it just freezes and then i have to make several attempts to turn it back on(i have to leave the comp off for about 30 mins til i can retry).yet when i take out the monitor that runs through my graphics card and put it into another port it works 100% but through this port i am only able to have vga graphics,i tried putting the monitor back through the graphics card and dumbing down the graphics but to no avail it still crashes.another worrying thing is that it says i have only 768 ram when infact i have 2 512mb(1gb) due to this i am unable to watch or play anything slightly demanding i have tries system restore and a memory test(only got 3/4 in to it then stops) thanks in advance dave

maynardvdm
31-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help

Your problem could be a couple of things. Make sure the graphics card is pressed in all the way. (Not too hard to crack the motherboard).

The grapics card could be fualty.

Remember when running onboard graphics the RAM is shared between the system and the graphics.

Also make sure all fans are clean and free of dust.

One of the advanced tech's can also give more advice on this.

JEBWrench
31-03-2008, 02:44 PM
Davey, your computer won't read the full 1024 MB of memory when you're on that second video port, as it is likely to be on-board video, which means it will use the system's memory for video memory.

daveygee007
31-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help

Your problem could be a couple of things. Make sure the graphics card is pressed in all the way. (Not too hard to crack the motherboard).

The grapics card could be fualty.

Remember when running onboard graphics the RAM is shared between the system and the graphics.

Also make sure all fans are clean and free of dust.

One of the advanced tech's can also give more advice on this.

spot on thank you!! i reinserted the video card and ive made sure the fans are dust free,the video card now works 100% and in the control panel>system it now reads 1024mb of ram thanks for your help its much appreciated kind rgards dave

maynardvdm
31-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi Dave

I am very glad it's working again. :)

Come back anytime. Feel free to browse the site and post in the fun section :)