PDA

View Full Version : Itunes

Flair4it
07-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi i have a customer who gave us her pc to wipe, which we did which was fine, however she came back to us and said she has an IPod that she wants to take the music from and put back on her machine, as she bought music through Itunes, and it never placed it on her pc so when we were backing the music up it didnt back that up as it was on the IPOD, is there anyway of retreiving the music from her ipod?

Goku
07-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know much about the problem but I think it can be resolved easily. Does she have a cable with which she can connect the IPod to the PC? If she does, then do so and copy the music files back to the hard drive. If you found my instructions incomplete, inappropriate or confusing or need a step-by-step guide, then you might want to read this article.

Copy Songs From iPod to Windows (http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050627_copy_songs_from_ipod_to_windows.html)

Hope that helps. :)

-- Goku

petef
08-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Copy Songs From iPod to Windows (http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050627_copy_songs_from_ipod_to_windows.html)

A quick read & summary of the article above indicates that manually
browsing the folders on the iPod is risky and may corrupt the data.
They suggest using software specifically intended for copying files
from the iPod to the computer. See link below.
iPod Access for Windows (http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20050420_ipod_access_for_windows.html)

---pete---

Flair4it
08-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Thanks petef,

Exactly what I needed.
cheers

petef
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks petef,

Exactly what I needed.
cheers

Thanks for posting the question!

I had a call from a potential customer just the other day asking how to
get tunes from his ipod to his new PC and I didn't know how to do it.
I was thinking that the iTunes software would do it but to my amazment
we couldn't find any such feature in the iTunes menus. I should get myself
an ipod just to have some experience with it so I can help others with theirs.

---pete---

Wolfeymole
08-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I bet you could bounce the songs onto a Mac without problem though eh Pete?

petef
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I bet you could bounce the songs onto a Mac without problem though eh Pete?

I really don't know, but it's my impression that the needed features
are left out of the iTunes software on purpose, so that makes me
think it's more about anti-piracy than it is about PC vs MAC.

---pete---

Wolfeymole
08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Isn't that weird as the latest WMP will allow you to rip and burn music cd's.

Kelly
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Customer states that the music was never placed on the PC - that it went directly to the iPod. I don't think that's possible. It's my understanding that in order to get anything onto an iPod, it must first be on the PC. Once it's on the PC, it can be transferred to the iPod.

The iPod is a reflection of the music on a single PC. Of course there are ways around it, but normally you can't just load tunes onto an iPod from more than one machine and you can't move tunes from an iPod to another computer. Apple does this to prevent copyright infringement.

Of course there are ways around this, but it's not easy for the typical computer user.

petef
08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
It's my understanding that in order to get anything onto an iPod, it must first be on the PC. Once it's on the PC, it can be transferred to the iPod.

The iPod is a reflection of the music on a single PC. Of course there are ways around it, but normally you can't just load tunes onto an iPod from more than one machine and you can't move tunes from an iPod to another computer. Apple does this to prevent copyright infringement.

Ok, that makes good sense. But isn't that the job of the iPod Access
software mentioned earlier in this thread; to transfer tunes from the iPod
to the Windows PC?

iPod Access for Windows (http://www.jakeludington.com/downloads/20050420_ipod_access_for_windows.html)

Excerpt from link above...
iPod Access for Windows is the premier application for transferring songs from your iPod or iPhone to your Windows computer.

---pete---

Wolfeymole
08-06-2008, 02:55 PM
This is as Tony said, the puzzling part;

........so when we were backing the music up it didnt back that up as it was on the IPOD........

Wolfeymole
08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Where does it state that Pete?

It's inferred only.

Tunes were placed on the iPod from his old PC and now he wants
to transfer them to the new PC directly from the iPod.

petef
08-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Where does it state that Pete?

It's inferred only.

Forget that. I edited my post to remove that statement.
You have to be careful when reading my posts because I always post
them and then go back to re-read them and I often edit the post within
a few minutes of posting it. So if you are reading my posts immediately
after they are posted you will often not see the edited version.

---pete---

maynardvdm
08-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Have a look here:

How to get songs from the iPod to PC (http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6477981-1.html)