PDA

View Full Version : DVD Maker Problems

shrimply
09-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi yet again, I've been trying to burn some things, home movies, pictures slideshows, etc to disk using windows DVD maker.

However, regardless of file types and burning speed, it gets to about 99% and comes up that it has failed to burn.

It appears I'm not alone in this issue by doing a few searches but the only solution seems to be to by software like Nero and WinDVD, neither of which I can afford or justify buying.

If any of you have any idea how to fix this I'd be very grateful, I am at the minute downloading a trial version of Nero to rule out that it is the burner or DVD that is at fault.

Many Thanks

Goku
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Are you able to burn recordable or rewritable CDs?

-- Goku

shrimply
09-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Yeah I can, but then I don't use the DVD maker for that.

Also can now add with Nero I can make DVDs no problem, so its definatly a problem with the DVD maker as I suspected.

Goku
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
What software are you using to burns the DVDs?

-- Goku

shrimply
09-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Well I'm trying to use Windows DVD maker but as I said the process only gets to about 99%

Goku
09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Please try the following steps and see if they help or not.

1. Click on Start.
2. Select Run....
3. In the Open: box, type in each of the below commands.

regsvr32 /u lmpgspl.ax
regsvr32 /u lmpgspl.ax
regsvr32 /u lmpgd10.ax

Note: Press Enter after each command.

Try burning the DVD again. Does it work now?

-- Goku

shrimply
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I got the following error when I entered the command

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/shrimply/Capture-5.jpg

Goku
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
What is the make of the CD Drive?

-- Goku

Dalo Harkin
09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Shrimply - windows own burning programs are not very good at all - there are FREE versions of NERO that you can get - NERO is a fantastic utility and I use it over any other burning software -
I know this seems more of a cop out but you are far better off staying away from any burning utilities in windows.

shrimply
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
What is the make of the CD Drive?

-- Goku

That's the sort of question that makes me look like a total idiot,lol. It's a laptop and I had no idea. PC Wizard says its Optiaric.

I have to say I am pretty impressed with Nero, but can't seem to find a free version, are you able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Dalo Harkin
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
you normally get them when you buy a retail DVD/CDRW
NERO.com i think it is mate -
I have just looked and they are all trials - I am sure that someone you know would have bought a retail DVD/CDRW there will be a NERO disk in that

Goku
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
There are plenty of free DVD burning softwares out there. You could use Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 (http://www.freewarefiles.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-FREE_program_41028.html) which I believe is free. As for the make of the CD drive, just read out what is written on its cover. :)

-- Goku

Seth
10-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Shrimply - windows own burning programs are not very good at all - there are FREE versions of NERO that you can get - NERO is a fantastic utility and I use it over any other burning software -
I know this seems more of a cop out but you are far better off staying away from any burning utilities in windows.

Agreed on all counts.

XP's burning was a lesson in frustration. Doesn't seem like Vista made much improvement on it.

shrimply
10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks, I'll give the software a go. The drive has nothing written on it.