PDA

View Full Version : Can one legally 'give away' software ...

Mara
30-08-2008, 07:52 PM
On my Sony Media XP computer, I have two programs that I never use (and have never used) and a 'friendlie' is wondering if I would give him the below two programs.

1. Sony Stage (it is a digital music manager that does custom compilations, etc)
2. Mood Logic (it organizes music according to genre, etc)

If I burn them onto a CD for him (he does not have a Sony computer) and then completely delete both above programs from my computer, it is legal, I wonder?

Wolfeymole
30-08-2008, 08:15 PM
You ask some interesting questions Mara that's a fact.

Ok on the first I doubt whether it would be compatible on a non Sony system but I'm open to offers on that.

On the Mood Logic scenario it appears that that program has died a death Mara.

MoodLogic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoodLogic)

Mara
30-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Since Mood Logic is dead, guess it can't hurt to give the program away if the 'friendlie' is content to use it as-is with no future updates. (And yes, it will be interesting to see if it and the other program work on a non-Sony computer).

Think what I'll do is take a change that if I completely delete any program from my computer, it should be 'legal' to give it to another person. There are the two above mentioned programs, of course, but a neighbour lady wants to prepare to re-enter the work force and could use my 'Quicken' and 'Microsoft Works' programs to learn on.

I did wander through the internet prior to posting this question to see if I could figure out 'copyrights' and what is/isn't legal and the answers seemed far from clear - so do appreciate your response, Wolfeymole.