PDA

View Full Version : Techs. Advice required on this software.

pc plodder
16-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Guys

Not been around for a while, must say I do like the new forum design:cool:

Just a quickie. A mate of mine who I chat to online recommended to me this software programme. The programme name is "Tune Up Utilities". Now before I go out and purchase it I thought I'd run it by you guys to see what you thought. You've not steered me wrongly in the past so if you think it's a pile of junk then please say so.

The guy I talk to seems to be well pleased with his and assures me that it hasn't screwed anything up on his P.C (he's been running it for 5-6 months)

Your input/thoughts are welcome

Regards
Steve

RandyL
16-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi pc;
There is absolutely no chance that I would ever recommend or use this program or any other like it.

Almost every aspect of it has the ability to mess up your system. A third party defrag, a registry cleaner. data elimination, windows congiguration and startup items are just a few. Programs like these especially those that affect the registry are extremley dangerous even in the hands of skilled users.

Please do not use these type of programs. Use the Windows programs instead. i would hate to see you have to reinstall Windows.

In addition when looking at their site I see no real support options or privacy policy. This is in itself a red flag.

Dalo Harkin
16-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I highly agree with Randy and I cannot stress to you - or your friend the DANGERS of using programs like this - they can help out sometimes but they have the potential to completely mess your system up.
Stay well away!

Jack Hackett
16-10-2008, 12:53 PM
If it is THIS (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/2217399/tuneup-utilities) bit of software, why pay 30 when you can do all the cleaning and 'tuning' up of your system for no cost at all?

I do not recommend the application

pc plodder
16-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Randy,Dalo & John

Thanks for the feedback guys. For the reasons you've stated i will steer well clear of it. Can't say that for my mate as he really rates it so that's his problem.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it

Regards
Steve

Seth
16-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree with the other techs.

As far as software goes, you're not going to notice any significant speed improvement other than disabling needless startup items, and not using resource hogging internet security.