PDA

View Full Version : FUP.

sangfroid
08-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Just been reading that Sky broadband has dropped their fair usage policy; Sky drops download limit and tops satisfaction poll ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/17/sky_fair_use/) . Hope other ISPs will eventually follow suit.
It can backfire a bit this FUP as I tried to download a demo game (for the children- of course, ahem,) which was 1.15 GB in size. Three times the download failed near the end as the speed, I assume, was throttled in. Fourth time was OK but using a download manager. So for 1.15 GB bandwidth it took about 4 GB to eventually download. On an 'unlimited' connection with fair usage policy.

BeeCeeBee
08-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Sangfroid.

I really hope you are not getting yourself into trouble with your downloads. I am the farthest thing from a technical expert on here. What I do know is that I almost turned my laptop into a paperweight by downloading the wrong stuff and then downloading other programs to make them run. By the time I was finished I was the poster boy for malware.

It may be a good idea to ask about some of these sites and tools etc. in the technical forums.

We don't want to lose you!!!

sangfroid
08-11-2008, 12:43 PM
beeceebee (http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/forum/members/beeceebee.html) , thanks for reply. I don't download a lot but sometimes use the site 'Gamer's Hell'. Quite legit and useful to test download speeds as you have a choice of servers. The demo I downloaded was Tomb Raider underworld. Although I have only got an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT card the graphics are pretty amazing including how the sea moves.

BeeCeeBee
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Glad of that! You have no idea the trouble I got myself in trying to be clever but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of things.

I don't want you to think I was spying into your use of your own PC.

We have very strict rules about not helping with any p2p type issues and limit our advice only to help in its removal. It is even better to get it off before it causes a problem. We are also aware that game demos often come from very reliable sources even the publishers.

We just want our members safe.

My reply to you was just one member who got burned trying to keep a new friend from getting into trouble. Your knowledge base seems better then mine was so you probably didn't need the advice.

ANYHOW I am really glad to see you down here in the community forums.:):)