PDA

View Full Version : 7-zip what a good program

shrimply
02-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I dunno if this should be under software but just a big thanks to whoever on here suggested 7-zip.

I just had a friend on the phone who was having all sorts of problems accessing some uni work. After the initial problems of accessing them what was supposed to have downloaded as a .zip file had downloaded as a .zip.part file which I had no idea how to open and neither did windows. It was only after a while of me saying that all you need to do is right click and extract all she told me it wasn't a .zip file.

As a last attempt I got her to open 7-zip, previously installed by me, and navigate to the file and click extract all, she apparently got a few messages up but I just said click yes for all of them. And what do you know it actually worked.

SO thanks.

Wolfeymole
02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.freepchelp.co.uk/forum/24731-post11.html

Goku
05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Hello Shrimply. The *.part extension is usually alloted by browsers, specifically Firefox, to active downloads. When a download is complete, the browser removes the *.part from the file name leaving you free to access the files. If your friend was having problems with the file, I suspect it was more because of a broken download than anything else. In that case, redownloading the file and extracting it should have solved the problem too.

Anyways, thanks for posting that about 7-Zip. I knew it was an excellent piece of software but I never knew that it had an 'archive reconstruction' feature to repair broken archives, like WinRAR. Cheers. :)

-- Goku

rowal5555
08-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Totally agree.

7Zip is my default unzipper.

Cheers, Rob

iwillbekingin2030
09-01-2009, 04:11 AM
thanks for posting this software suggestion. i have been using winrar trial but yesterday i installed 7-zip to try it out and now it's my default and i have removed the winrar trial. ty againl.:p