PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way to update all drivers on a pc?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi
I am in the process of re-building a couple of laptops from scratch that haven't got the drivers and utilities disks with them. Is there a free quick and easy solution to update the missing drivers as the support sites downloads don't seem to work for me.
Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.
The machine specs are below:
Thanks
Rick

Toshiba Satellite Pro L series L20 PSL2YE
and a
Dell SmartPC 250N

Thanks

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Hello Rick

Welcome to FPCH

Are you talking about actual physical rebuilds or just a couple of laptops that are missing a few drivers?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi
Thanks for the rapid reply. They are a couple of laptops missing a few drivers. Just realise how dramatic I had made it sound!
Thanks
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Do you have net access on these laptops?

If not you will have to get the given downloads and burn them to a disk then install from that.

Windows is installed on both of them right?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi
Both are on infront of me, have access to the net and have legit windows xp home which is fully up to date service packed.
Thanks
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Driver support for Dell is here

Dell Support Home Page (http://support.dell.com/)

Driver support for Toshiba is here

Toshiba - Download drivers: (http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp)

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi
I've ben through all the driver downloads on dell and they do not do anything excpet put a load of files in a dell drivers directory. When I try and install the missing drivers I am told that the folders do not contain information on my hardware?
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Have you clicked on the executable Setup file for the given driver in that folder?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi
They don't come with any setup executable unfortunatly. Is there a site that has complete sets of drivers for most machines as a complete list or an online version of the origianl disk. I'm at the end of my tether with these things
Thanks for all your help
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Look Rick I have been to both Toshiba and Dell and quite easily located all drivers for both machines.

I don't know what your doing wrong here but all drivers that you choose for the Dell box should auto install.

If you don't know what drivers are missing then go into Device Manager and see what items have a yellow question mark at the side of them.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi
I'm sorry about this. This is why I have been so frustrated. IF we could focus on the Toshiba machine first. Device manager suggests that the ethernet controller is not working. Is this the device that controls the in-built wireless card as this is not currently working.
Thanks
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 07:34 PM
When you installed XP Home, did you use the same disk for both machines?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi
Yes I did use the same XP disk but with 2 different licenses
Thanks
Rick

BeeCeeBee
16-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Are your licenses OEM?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi
I don't think so. Is there a way to tell?

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi
Yes I did use the same XP disk but with 2 different licenses
Thanks
Rick

Rick

We would really like to help you here so therefore we must ask you to exactly define what you mean by "2 different licenses".

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi
I have one copy of windows xp that came with the dell laptop and I used the same disk on the Toshiba. Each laptop had different license keys attached to the bottom of the laptop and were used for each installation.
Thanks
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I can't agree that this was the scenario Rick.

I suggest that you have a full on copy of XP and that you have installed it to both laptops using the one key, your problem will now lie, irrespective of drivers, when you come to activate to Microsoft.

Should the XP disk have been a Dell OEM then it would have failed immediately when trying to install to the toshiba machine.

Unless you have a volume license from Microsoft you are contravening their EULA.

Please enlighten us as to what is exactly happening or we shall be forced to close this thread.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi
I've just checked and your absolutely right, I used the same license ID. I didn't realise until now. Can I use the ID on the Toshiba with the operating disk from Dell. This is the first time I've rebuilt machines before, I'm so sorry for my stupidity. I thought becuase I didn't have the discs from the Toshiba I could just use the Dell disc and accidentally used the same license ID as it was written on a post it note.
Thank you so much for your help on this.
Rick

BeeCeeBee
16-12-2008, 09:18 PM
The Dell disc will only work on the Dell using the key on the label for that laptop assuming it is the right Dell disc. You will be unable to install that onto the Toshiba at all. There is no getting around that.

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Thank you for your honesty Rick.

What you will need to do now is obtain a copy of either an OEM for that particular Toshiba machine or a full on XP disk that has it's own separate key.

The consequences of not doing so will result in, as I said earlier, not being able to activate to Microsoft.

Fix the Dell box first by obtaining the drivers for from Dell and then we shall move on.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi
I did not realsie that. Do windows or Toshiba send out new copies if you have lost the disk? I'm not completly sure it came with any disks really? I feel so silly as I thought I knew enough to do this so we could give the new built laptop to my father in law!
Any help you can offer would be really really appreciated, I'm not sure what I can do now as I wiped the old install off completely
Rick

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 09:30 PM
I am so sorry, I honestly thought I had done it all right and proper. Obriously not :-) Will Toshiba send out a new disk or will I have to buy one?
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 09:36 PM
You will have to contact Toshiba and explain the situation, they may or may not be able to offer new disks, if they can it will cost you.

The alternative is to buy a new copy of XP.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I see, I have registered the laptop with Toshiba and they have the operating system down as Genuine (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/Contents/Toshiba_uk/EN/Others/msg.html) Windows XP® Professional rather than home so I was going a bit wrong to start with. If it was OEM would it have said there do you think? Sorry for all the remeadial questions! :-)
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 09:48 PM
You registered with Toshiba?

So what happened to the original XP disk and the system driver disk?

BeeCeeBee
16-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I happen to have a Toshiba laptop and the software is simply called "Product Recovery DVD-ROM" from looking at the disc you would not even be able to tell that it contains windows but it does. If you have that disc and the label on the bottom of the Laptop (Not on the disc) that is all you will ever get from Toshiba.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I registered on the site to see if I could send them an e mail about replacement discs. My wife was given the laptop 2 years ago without any disks and she has since moved onto a macbook but I've never seen the disks but I thought I could re-build it for my father in law but I haven't been able to sort it completly! You have been extremely helpful and I have learnt a lot so far :-)
R

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Just get a new copy of XP Rick.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 10:09 PM
I have fouund this:

Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en)

Will this work with my license?
Rick

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Which license?

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry just realised this is a service pack rather than a full install! I will call toshiba and see if they are able to send me out a recovery disk. I can't really afford to by a whole new copy when I have a legit license, I just have no disk. Is there nothing I can do?
R

Wolfeymole
16-12-2008, 10:21 PM
To reiterate;

What you will need to do now is obtain a copy of either an OEM for that particular Toshiba machine or a full on XP disk that has it's own separate key.

rick_monkey
16-12-2008, 10:31 PM
I see
Thanks for all your help. I will speak to Toshiba and see if they can give me a new recovery disc.