PDA

View Full Version : XP - Partitioned Hardrive running out of space

kiwiexpat
28-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Help!

My Dell Dimension 9100 hardrive is partitioned into C:\ 20GB and D:\160GB. The C: drive where all the ops happen is down to 500MB and I'm having trouble with system maintenance and downloading activities due to insufficient space.

Any tips on freeing up space or re-partitioning?

Kelly
28-12-2008, 01:21 PM
An easy way to free up disk space is to use the Disk Cleanup utility. Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

How much free space is on the D drive? If it isn't being used, consider moving your documents over from C to D. Go to My Documents and right click on it, go to Properties. You'll see a window indicating where My Documents is located. It's probably on C. Click the Move button and navigate to the D drive.

Diurno
28-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmm, try to empty recycling bin, delete cookies/%temp% folder.

kiwiexpat
28-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Have moved everything I thought I could and run utilities to compress. What about all the Windows updates? Can I delete them after they have run?

BeeCeeBee
28-12-2008, 01:36 PM
To the best of my limited knowledge and research there is little you can do in terms of resizing partitions in XP. I assume that this is the original partition scheme when you received the computer from Dell.

20GB is more than sufficient to run your OS along with all your programs etc. There is no purpose gained by loading up the C drive with loads of data that can easily by moved onto D.

stain
28-12-2008, 02:53 PM
norton partition magic or acronis disk director amongst others will take space from the larger patition without losing data. unfortunately you'll have to pay for it.

Tootech
28-12-2008, 04:38 PM
An excellent and free partitioning tool can be found here

Norton Partition Magic alternative: Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista - FREE EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition (http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm)

EASEUS Partition Manager 3.0 Home Edition

Download and install it.

Before running it I would recommend making sure your data is backed up and you run a chkdsk.

The way to do it is to decrease the size of your large partiton first - say by 20GB, then reboot to apply the changes. Then go and increase your smaller partiton by the 20GB which will now be unused space.

Reboot to apply the changes again and job done

kiwiexpat
03-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks Tootech - great tip & it worked perfectly!

Tootech
03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Great Stuff!

Glad it worked for you.

Thanks for letting us know :)