Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive installation problem

Hi,

New to here and sorry for posting a new thread just for this, i know how annoying it is with 1000s of similar posts. I tried searching my particular problem but no luck.

Right, I have just installed a secondary hard drive to my pc. As a slave to my primary drive. However now when i boot up my pc, it seems to just stay on the Windows XP load screen in the boot up process.
    I have set my original hard drive as my boot up drive and everything, even when i take out the new HD this freezing problem still occurs.
    I was thinking maybe i have damaged my original HD but nothing like that appears and if it was wiped i don't think it would be showing the windows load screen.
    I did change around some of the ribbons for ROM drives but they are still detected too. I am lost!

Help would be great, thanks a lot.

Hiya and Welcome to Free PC Help Cal.
    Please be patient and someone will be along to assist you.
    Welcome to Free PC Help.

Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

If Free PC Help has helped you then please consider a donation. Click here

ONY

Comment

Hello Cal

Welcome to Free PC Help

Don't be sorry and we are not annoyed ok, we are here to try to help you.

Ok
      The hard drive that contains XP needs to be set, ideally, on IDE 0 on the motherboard jumpered as Master or Cable select on the end of the IDE ribbon cable.
      If you want to run this new hard drive from the same cable it obviously needs to be on the middle connector jumpered as Slave.

I need to know how you have fully configured it Cal with regard to Primary and Secondary and Slave configurations.

If you don't understand what I mean then I shall explain.

Comment

There is no way that installing a secondary drive would affect XP on your primary drive. It's just a coincidence.

Leave the new hd out and try this:

Start tapping F8 as soon as the computer starts. From the boot menu that appears, choose "Last Known Good Configuration".

If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode from that menu.
        Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

Comment

I think i know what you mean.

Right i have 4 IDE slots on my motherboard. 2 blue and 2 black but paired as 1 black 1 blue.
          I have two separate ROM drives which i have piggy backed off one another and in the black IDE slot which i think is the secondary.
          I have the 2 HD piggy backed off one another in the blue primary. The new hard drive is set to slave and is on the middle connector.
          Hope this is what you need to know, if not please explain further.
          Thanks!

Comment

I have never seen a board with 4 IDE slots ever Cal.

Does your boards IDE slots look like these?

Let's just ascertain that first.

Comment

I hate to pose such a silly question, but is the cable connecting the original Hard Disk secure? I've loosened IDE cables before on accident in installing new drives before.

Comment

You can also easily damage the cable by pulling on it without a special tab on the connector. Just pulling by the cable is a bad thing.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware | Malwarebytes' Products | SUPERAntispyware | HijackThis | Spybot Search & Destroy | hpHosts | SpywareBlaster | WinPatrol | SiteHound | FireFox | NoScript | Adblock Plus | Sandboxie | Acronis True Image | ThreatFire | ESET Online Scanner | Kaspersky Online Scanner | Panda Online Scanner | Trend Online Scanner | Avira AntiVir Personal | Avast Free AV | CCleaner | ATF-Cleaner | Online Armor Firewall | Outpost Firewall Free | DirectX | Office Compatibility Pack | Office 2003 (SP3) | SubInACL | Windows Defender | Windows Installer 3.1 | IE7 XP | XP SP3 for IT | Sysinternals | Virtual PC 2007 | Returnil

We are all members helping other members.
                Please return here where you may be able to help someone else.
                After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

Comment

Yeah thats what they look like Wolf. I am only using two of them, have just left the other two empty, but they seem to be exactly the same as the ones photoed.
                  In the blue i have my ribbon cable with the two hard drives attached and in the other i have the connection to my DVD drives.
                  As someone mentioned damaging of the cable but wouldnt that stop boot up before it reached the Windows load screen?
                  It does seem weird that even when I take out the new hard driver and just use my primary old one it still doesn't boot up and still goes to the Window Xp loads screen. Also funny is that in BIOS it picks up both of the Hard Drives.

Comment

What of post #4?

Comment

Well from what you write you appear to have the drives configured correctly so I would go with what Seth says and remove the new drive, reboot in Safe Mode and try Last Known Good Config.
                      Get back to us when you have done so Cal.

Comment

Well I've tried that and it does the same, just seems to stay on that Windows XP loading screen. I should have really kept a note of what order and where each ribbon cable was before i began.
                        It may actually be a coincidence and something else has gone wrong.
                        I can get to the safe mode, start last known config, start normal etc.
                        When i try safe mode it starts loading the different files and then just seems to stop on one of them each time, I am sure it is irrelevant which file it stops on but i will give it just in case WINDOWS\system32\giveio.sys.

I am really scared in case my original hard drive is broken, I thought though maybe if it was it wouldn't even get that far in the booting sequence or be picked up by the BIOS.

Comment

It recognizes them in the BIOS, does it list the hard disks as Primary or Secondary Master/Slave?

Or you could try what I do and swap the cable connections to motherboard all willy-nilly.

Comment

Lists original drive as primary master and new drive as primary slave.
                            I've been switching and swapping the cables for a while, pulling my hair out!

Might be a shop job. Will keep the faith for now though.

Comment

Well I've googled giveio.sys Cal and there are enough conflicting replies on this to choke a mule, ranging from software like Speedfan to Quicktime.

Personally I'd do a repair install of XP and get your system back to normal but hold on for other members opinions if you will please.

Comment

Working...
                              X