Connecting to wireless network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting to wireless network

I have a laptop that has a wireless card and im trying to get it to connect with my bt homehub. It finds the network I want it to connect to, however when I try to connect it says "windows is unable to connect to the selected network". This is when it has full signal and is right next the the home hub?

Hi Max

Welcome to Free PC Help

Have a look here.

Comment

I looked on there and tried pinging the hub as recomend, I got the mesaage "Destination Host unreachable". Im unsure where to go from here as it didnt give any more instructions on how to resolve this.

Comment

Did you look at the FAQ section Max?
        Did you hard wire the connection?

Comment

yeah, am I missing something?

Comment

Did you hardwire the pc to the hub via an ethernet cable and ping 192.168.1.254 which is the hubs IP address?
            If it timed out then you do not have a direct connection.

Comment

Some laptops will do exactly as you describe if the wireless switch/slider/button is turned off on the laptop.
              Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

If Free PC Help has helped you then please consider a donation. Click here

Comment

If you're getting a good signal strength indication on the laptop, then something else is the problem.

Is the router is set up with a password, like WEP or WPA?

Has the router been configured to filter MAC (Media Access Control) addresses? MAC addresses are unique for each physical computer connection. If someone set up filtering and your Mac address isn't in the filter list, you won't be able to get in.

There are a few types of wireless connections. They end in either 'b', 'g', or 'n'. If the router is set up to not allow a mixed environment - hence allowing only one of these types AND your laptop isn't capable of working with that type of connection, you won't get in.

Is there another machine connected to the wireless network?

If it's set up for a mixed environment AND a machine of let's say type 'b' is already connected to the network, then the only other machines that can connect afterwards must be capable of the already established 'b' type.
                Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

We are all members helping other members.
                Please return here where you may be able to help someone else.
                After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

Comment

If it's set up for a mixed environment AND a machine of let's say type 'b' is already connected to the network, then the only other machines that can connect afterwards must be capable of the already established 'b' type.

Interesting. I didn't know this.

So if the router is mixed, then it defaults to a particular type of signal depending on what the connected computer is capable of?

Comment

I have set up to the network before, but after a reinstall of windows on the same computer I cannot connect so I dont think its a problem with the router? and another machine is connected to the network

Comment

Try going to the START menu, choose RUN, type in CMD and press the ENTER button. You should get a black screen with white lettering.

Type in 'ipconfig /release'' without the quote. When it finishes, type in 'ipconfig /renew' without the quotes. This might work.

If that doesn't work, try 'ipconfig /flushdns'

After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

Comment

Seth - each type of connection 'b', 'g', 'n', uses a different modulation technique. The router can only handle one type of connection.

However, I think I stated something wrong when I posted. If you're connected wirelessly to a router with a 'g' laptop, the router runs at 'g' speed. Now if a 'b' laptop comes up and tries to connect, the router will throttle down to the 'b' speed to accommodate the newly connected 'b' machine (if the router is set for a mixed environment). The 'g' laptop then throttles down also because that's what the router is doing.

Going the other way, if a 'b' machine is connected and a 'g' machine comes up, it will connect at the 'b' speed.

Comment

Ok got it. Thanks!

Comment

I cant release the IP as "no operation may be performed on a wireless network connectio while it has its media disconnected"
                            I did flush the DNS with no result

Comment

Can the laptop connect to any wireless internet?

Might be worth going for a quick drive to confirm this if no other network is in range.

Comment

Working...
                              X