My PC won't go past the first screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PC won't go past the first screen

When I turn my PC on it gets to the first screen where it has the text at the top and you can press F8 or is it delete for the menu? to run it in safe mode. You can select any of the modes e.g safe mode, safe mode with networking. but when you do it displays the line of blocks at the botton of the screen and i think it says windows but then thats it, nothing, it freezes.
    You can access the menu where you can change the fan speed and stuff like that but I haven't done anything with it because I haven't got a clue.

I was going to take it to a shop but I thought I'd give this a try as i thought it may be something simple. If I can do anything to provide any more information please let me know.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

It sounds like something has gone awry in your Windows installation. If you can't startup in Safe Mode, there is little you can do apart from perform a repair installation of Windows. Microsoft has an official support article dealing with this:

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

You need your Windows XP install disc. Note, however, that this can get rid of the files in the Shared Documents folder, read the warning on that page.

From what you have said, I am guessing your computer is no longer under manufacturer warranty or it is a hombrew build. Whoever installed your copy of Windows may also be a source of help.

Comment

Working...
    X