Blank Screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank Screen

Hi I have a dell running windows xp home with sp2. I had a virus which I thought I'd got rid off so I shutdown as norm, but next day after windows logo and what sounds like hard loaded i got a black screen with a white mouse pointer and nothing else. When I ask to start in safe mode the same happens only with 'safe mode' in each corner again in black. I contacted dell and they ran tests on all hardware, it all said passed. Dell then told me to re-write windows but this has not changed anything. Is there any way to check for virus through Dos or do you have any suggestions. Dell are to call me again today but I don't think they will be much help

Hopefully
    joani

That was a good step to try Safe Mode. If it were a virus, it probably wouldn't load in Safe Mode.

When you said you re-wrote Windows, can you explain what you did? Do you mean that you did an XP Repair using the XP Install CD or using some Dell-provided program?

Is this a laptop?
    Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

If Free PC Help has helped you then please consider a donation. Click here

We are all members helping other members.
    Please return here where you may be able to help someone else.
    After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

Comment

I formated the drive then installed windows xp cdrom dell sent. It's a desk top.

Comment

Dell have me re-doing the format & install again, I still have my fingers crossed - about 20 mins to go????

Comment

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

We are all members helping other members. Please return here where you may be able to help someone else. After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

RaidMax Smilodon Gaming Case | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H M/B | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz | 8GB Corsair RAM | Nvidia GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 | Corsair 800w PSU

Register for FREE >>here<< | If we have helped you, please consider a donation >>here<<

Comment

I recommend you try the Dell full system recovery (not the CD). Note that this will restore the computer to the condition when you purchased it, as such any data such as pictures and documents will be erased.

Start the computer and press CTRL and F11 at the same time when you see the Dell screen. This can be tricky, so you might have to try it a few times. This procedure will initiate the full recovery. If this fails, then you most likely have a hardware problem.
            Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

If Free PC Help has helped you then please consider a donation. Click here

Comment

Hi Peps, Dell tried that but it did not work, but we re-reformated and it has worked 2nd time around who knows why?? Any way I am on windows and apart from a few glitches alls fine.

Sorry I couldn't get back online sooner to let you know - b/band playing up.
              If I can't get the 'glitches' sorted I will be returning here for more help. Thank you all for your time.

Joani

Comment

Working...
              X