Yahoo Mail Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Mail Problem

I think this is an OS problem but im not 100% sure. Basically as i type, my pc opens up Yahoo Mail in a new browser window, it seems it is random keys that cause this, as I have pressed each key one at a time and it never results in the same key popping up Yahoo Mail.

Its getting very annoying as I have to stop typing half way through a word, close Yahoo Mail then go back and carry on. Last night I was posting a short topic elsewhere, and it popped up 17 times!

Anyone know what's going on? And what can I do to stop it? Ive tried uninstalling the Yahoo toolbar and anything to do with Yahoo. Any other suggestions please?

Hiya and welcome aidacuk. Please be patient and someone will be along to assist you.
    Welcome to Free PC Help.

Need help with your computer problems? Then why not join Free PC Help. Register here

If Free PC Help has helped you then please consider a donation. Click here

ONY

Comment

Hi

To elimate malware as the cause i recommend doing the following:

Your computer could be infected with Malware.
      • Malware is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent.
        It is a combination of the words malicious and software.
        The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.
      • Required Cleanup Steps
        1. Run a Temporary files cleaner
        2. Disable the Spybot Search & Destroy TEA TIMER if enabled
        3. Run 2 Anti-Malware scanners
        4. Run an Online Anti-Virus / Anti-Malware Scanner
        5. Clear out old System Restore points
        6. If continued Malware type activity is present you may be asked to post a TrendMicro™ HijackThis™ Log file
      The reason to run multiple scanners is to ensure that no single scanner is missing something.
      The time it takes will vary depending on your system and your internet connection speed.
      Typically the SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes scanners will take between 10 to 90 minutes.
      The ESET online scan should take between 1 to 3 hours.
      In most cases, these scans will suffice to clean and disinfect your computer.
      Heavily infected systems or slower PCs can take much longer to scan and clean.

For best results print the following instructions and bookmark this Web page
      To keep this guide printer-friendly, use your cursor to highlight the contents below.
      From your browser select File - Print and in the printer dialog box under "Print range"
      click the Selection choice to print out these instructions for removal of malware.

STEP 1
      • Disable Spybot Search & Destroys' TEA TIMER: (if installed)
        1. Run Spybot-S&D in Advanced Mode.
        2. If it is not already set to do this Go to the Mode menu select "Advanced Mode"
        3. On the left hand side, Click on Tools
        4. Then click on the Resident Icon in the List
        5. Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts.
        6. Restart your computer.

STEP 2
      • Follow these instructions carefully.
      • Download ATF-Cleaner from Snapfiles.com to remove un-needed temporary files from your computer that may contain malware.
      • You can also download it from Majorgeeks.com
      • When you run ATF-Cleaner, check the items as shown below for Main.
      • For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab on top and check the items as shown below for FireFox
      • NOTE: If you don't have FireFox or Opera installed then they will be grayed out and can be ignored
      • Then click on "Empty Selected".

STEP 3
      • Install and run the free version (not the Professional version) of SUPERAntiSpyware from SUPERAntiSpyware.com
        • Accept any prompts to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to install the latest rules and infection definition files.
        • You do not have to send them your e-mail address, just click next.
        • You can leave the automated check for updates on.
        • You can uncheck "Send a diagnostic report to research center" if you don't want to send the information.
        • DO NOT allow SUPERAntiSpyware to protect your Home Page settings.
        • On the Top Left select the Scan your computer button.
        • Make sure there is a CHECK MARK on all Fixed Drives.
        • Click "Perform a Complete Scan". Click "Next" to Repair issues found and reboot the computer when prompted to do so.

STEP 4
      • Install and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Malwarebytes - (direct download)
        • Accept all defaults for the installer
        • Allow the program to update the definitions
        • Click on the Quick Scan and click Next.
        • If any items are found allow it to clean them and then Reboot your computer.

STEP 5
      • Run an online scan with ESET from Free Virus Scan: Use ESET's Online Antivirus Scanner
      • You may have to disable your Firewall to operate this Online Scanner
        • You must use Internet Explorer for this online scan. FireFox, Opera, etc will not work for this scan.
        • Accept the terms and click "Start".
        • Once the scanner is ready, check "Remove found threats" AND "Scan unwanted applications".
        • Click "Start" to begin the scan.
        • When completed restart your computer

Make sure your internet firewall security is enabled, and then please return to Free PC Help and tell us how the computer seems to be operating.
      At that time, you will receive instructions to assist you in removing malicious programs from your Add/Remove program list if warranted.

If required this is the download link for TrendMicro™ HijackThis™
      Unless instructed to by the Technician helping you then do not download this tool.

Once you and the Technician agree that your system appears to be clean then you should delete all your System Restore points and recreate a new one.
      Please follow the instructions here
      How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP
      How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows Vista

We are all members helping other members. Please return here where you may be able to help someone else. After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

RaidMax Smilodon Gaming Case | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H M/B | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz | 8GB Corsair RAM | Nvidia GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 | Corsair 800w PSU

Register for FREE >>here<< | If we have helped you, please consider a donation >>here<<

Comment

Wow! Thanks for that! I'll give it a try now and let you know.

Comment

OK thanks for the advice, I've followed the steps, and so far so good. No email popping up looks like its solved

Thanks.

Comment

Ok Aida good to hear, thanks for letting us know.

Comment

Good to hear that.

Come back any time!

We are all members helping other members. Please return here where you may be able to help someone else. After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

RaidMax Smilodon Gaming Case | Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H M/B | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.4GHz | 8GB Corsair RAM | Nvidia GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 | Corsair 800w PSU

Register for FREE >>here<< | If we have helped you, please consider a donation >>here<<

Comment

Thanks again guys, its definitely fixed, just been typing for an hour and no email its been doing my head in for a week!

Comment

Hi again!

Sorry to bring this up again, but the problem has returned! I have followed the steps as mentioned above, and before running each step I have updated each program/downloaded the latest one. However this time it hasn't changed anything, whereas last time it fixed it straight away.

So does anyone know why it wouldn't work this time? Or if there is anything else I can do?

Just typing this post Yahoo Mail has opened 11 times

Comment

OK Aidac, let us start by uninstalling Yahoo! Messenger or any other toolbar you might have. Remove everything related to Yahoo! and reboot the computer. Does the problem still persist?

-- Goku

Comment

Hi Goku,

Thanks for your reply. I've just uninstalled everything Yahoo related and rebooted, but it hasn't worked.

Comment

OK, I have a lot of questions, so please answer them patiently. They will help me eliminate various possibilities that might be causing the problem.

1. What browser are you using?
                        2. Does it happen only when you are connected?
                        3. What happens if you do not press any key at all?
                        4. When Yahoo! Mail opens, are you signed in?
                        5. Does the page look like a genuine Yahoo! link or does it look like a hoax?
                        6. What happens if you keep one instance of the Yahoo! window or tab open and continue with your work?

Answer them as soon as possible.

-- Goku

Comment

1. What browser are you using?

The latest IE version.

2. Does it happen only when you are connected?

No, it still opens but is unable to load the page.

3. What happens if you do not press any key at all?

Then it is fine.

4. When Yahoo! Mail opens, are you signed in?

No.

5. Does the page look like a genuine Yahoo! link or does it look like a hoax?

Yes it is genuine.

6. What happens if you keep one instance of the Yahoo! window or tab open and continue with your work?

It just keeps on opening more tabs. The problem is it doesn't open them in the background and allow me to carry on typing. Each time it opens I have to cross it off or click back to what I was typing. I currently have 7 tabs open just from typing this message!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comment

OK, this problem is very weird. Yahoo! Mail should not, under any circumstances, be opened automatically. The answers you give allow me to reach only the conclusion that your computer is still infected. Please perform the whole Malware removal procedure and in addition to that, download and install Avira AntiVir from here. Update AntiVir with the latest virus definitions and run a full scan. The scan may take some time to complete so allow it to do so. After the scan is complete, click on the Report button and post back its contents here.

Note: Avira might conflict with your current Antivirus software if you have one installed. In that case, please disable the Antivirus or uninstall it altogether to stop it from interrupting Avira's scan.

That should hopefully fix the problem if it is being caused by an infection.

-- Goku

Comment

OK I'll do that now, thanks.

Do you think it could be anything to do with the keyboard? As in the shortcut keys, to jump to email/internet etc? As when it is opening Yahoo Mail, it says on the bottom of my monitor 'Launching Email'. Which is what happens when I press the shortcut key for email.

Comment

Working...
                              X