Thread: Chrome slow to load Google Home Page from start

Banned FPCH Member

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:
    Windows XP - Home Edition

Default Chrome slow to load Google Home Page from start

I am a user of Firefox and have been for many years, but now that Mozilla have engaged in a version race to infinity and the Google toolbar plus several add-ons and possibly other auxiliary programs do not work, I am considering moving over to Chrome.

I use Windows XP 2002 Home with SP3, AVG2012 and ZA firewall.

I am currently giving Chrome a good trial run, but again the Google toolbar,KeyScrambler and NoScript are not supported. As I use Sandboxie and have no personal finance details on my computer, the loss of these otherwise useful programs does not matter too much. Nothing will get onto my computer and knowing my key strokes is of little value. NoScript ? No great loss regarding security in my case, Chrome has a similar extension called "ScriptNo".

I find that Chrome is taking an age to load the Google Home Page from start-up and so do many other users on the web. Much slower than Firefox. Seems to be something to do with loading the Cache, I get a message saying "Waiting for Cache" and a time-out panel saying "Kill or Wait". Timing it results in 60-70 seconds from clicking the desktop icon to being fully loaded. Once loaded, all is then OK. Firefox takes 35 seconds. I am finding Chrome with extensions and my selected settings a very attractive and surprisingly good alternative to Firefox.

Loading solution so far :-

I have found that adjusting the Chrome settings has made a big improvement.

Wrench>Options>Under the Hood>Privacy. Uncheck item 3 and possibly item 2. I am currently running with items 2 & 3 unchecked.

The load time is now 5-10 seconds - it does vary a little, but is mostly 5 seconds, this is without Sandboxie.
    With Sandboxie, the load time is 12-20 seconds. Infinitely better than before and it beats Firefox, so in the absence of another solution, there it stays. I can live with that.

Here is a screen shot :-

Administrator & Security Team Starbuck's Avatar

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:
    XP Home / Win7 Pro / Win8.1 Pro

but now that Mozilla have engaged in a version race to infinity and the Google toolbar plus several add-ons and possibly other auxiliary programs do not work, I am considering moving over to Chrome.
    Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone want to add a toolbar
    I have no toolbars installed, i have the google search box on Firefox ( as is default) and that's all i need.
    I'm now running Firefox 10 and all of my addons are working.
    BBCodeXtra
    ColorfulTabs
    Malware Search
    No Script
    Paste Quote
    Speed Dial
    Social Fixer ( to sort out Facebook)
    Web of Trust

and i notice no drop off in speed at all.
    Member of:
    UNITE

Banned FPCH Member

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but why would anyone want to add a toolbar
    I have no toolbars installed, i have the google search box on Firefox ( as is default) and that's all i need.
    I'm now running Firefox 10 and all of my addons are working.
    BBCodeXtra
    ColorfulTabs
    Malware Search
    No Script
    Paste Quote
    Speed Dial
    Social Fixer ( to sort out Facebook)
    Web of Trust

and i notice no drop off in speed at all.
    Thanks Starbuck, very enlightening indeed.

I will update my Firefox 3.6+ when Mozilla pull the plug on me and your comment is very encouraging.

I have given Chrome a good old thumping and after customizing it and getting familiar with the browser, I do like it. But Starbuck, up to now, the entire world of Chromeies have been bleating about how fast Chrome is compared to Firefox.

Well, I have news for them. My experience with Chrome is that it is so slow loading from start that I can feel myself getting older. Access to Google-type personal data is also slow. But once I start webbing, the response is OK, but no better than Firefox.

The Google toolbar on Chrome ? I do not miss it since most of the goodies are included in the system and with their Extensions, all is quite acceptable. They even have a ScriptNo extension that is practically as good as NoScript. No KeyScrambler or equivalent though. Using Sandboxie none of this trimming really matters.

Banned FPCH Member

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

Well although I potentially like Chrome, I will stick with Firefox, because it is in my view a far better browser.

I have now updated my FF 3.5 to FF 11.0 because Mozilla issued a cut-off date of the 24 April for support to FF 3.6.

No problem it works perfectly and I now have my Google Toolbar back with all the buttons as previous, thanks to the tweak given in links :-
    http://www.itsabhik.com/tech/how-to-...-11-12-13.html or
    http://davidcocke.blogspot.co.uk/201...irefox-11.html

This tweak works for FF 12.0 if 12 is used in the surgery instead of 11.0

Anybody who does not like toolbars ? Then don`t have them, I don`t either, but I find the Google Toolbar extremely useful and use it all the time.

Each to his own, no reason for argument.
    Last edited by Airborne; 30-04-2012 at 11:58 AM.