Thread: Can't find update manager on AVG 2012

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:
    Windows XP - Home Edition

Default Can't find update manager on AVG 2012

Hi all
    I use AVG as my AV and due to some issues when I was getting my machine paralysed with 15 minutes of unwanted updates every time I started it up I turned off auto updates and was updating manualy.
    The original unwanted updates problem was solved with help of this forum.So recently on the AVG interface I set to automatic update every day. Problem now is that it's not auto updating and the 'update manager' feature has gone from the AVG interface. Although it tells me I am protected I am now having to update manualy!
    I do realise from previous comments that a lot of you don't recommend AVG but it has picked up all threats over past years so I'm happy with it but can anyone help to find the vanished 'updates' manager and set up automatic updates?
    Thanks
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium-Vista Home Premium

I found this faq from AVG which says;

Virus database update schedule
    If you want to modify/disable AVG virus database update schedule you can do it this way:

1) From AVG User Interface
    • Launch AVG program.
    • Double-click the "Update Manager" component to open the needed settings.
    • In the "Update Manager Settings" section you can disable (uncheck the "Start automatic updates" option) or modify the settings of AVG virus database update schedule.
    2) From "Advanced settings"
    • Launch AVG program.
    • From top menu "Tools" select "Advanced settings" option.
    • Select the Schedules -> Virus database update schedule in the left navigation tree.
    • Here you can disable (uncheck the "Enable this task" option) or modify the settings of AVG virus database update schedule.
    Program update schedule
    If you want to modify/disable AVG program update schedule you can do it this way:
    • Launch AVG program.
    • Select the Schedules -> Program update schedule in the left navigation tree.
    • Here you can disable (uncheck the "Enable this task" option) or modify the settings of AVG program update schedule.
    We are all members helping other members. Please return here where you may be able to help someone else. After all, no one knows everything and you may have the answer that someone needs.

Get help with computer problems. Join Free PC Help here

Donations are welcome. Read Here

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

Sorry but it just dont work for me.The update manager is not even now on the AVG interface so no way can I follow instructions to modify the update manager.
    Likewise trying to follow these instructions ) From "Advanced settings"
    • Launch AVG program.
    • Select the Schedules -> Virus database update schedule in the left navigation tree.
    • Here you can disable (uncheck the "Enable this task" option) or modify the settings of AVG virus database update schedule.
    • I cant see virus database update schedule anywhere so can do nothing.
    • Seems I 'm now condemned to manually update!
    • Any ideas please?
    • Ray

Super Moderator & Security Team etavares's Avatar

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:
    Win7 Professional - Windows XP - Windows Home Server

I don't use AVG so this may not be much help, but you may want to uninstall then reinstall. REmoving an antivirus is a bit more than removing the program from the add/remove programs list. First, remove it that way. Then run the AVG 2012 Removal Tool (pick the 32bit or 64bit accordingly to your system) then run that. Then, reinstall it.

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

thanks for this
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

Did it resolve the issue?

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

IRather than uninstall/re install 'm just updating manually every day.
    One day I will go for one of the other free AV s as suggested in this forum.
    I have seen free firewalls are also available? will they be a problem to run alongside whatever different AV I install? (when ever I get around to it!)
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

I would suggest resolving the issue...that may not be all that's malfunctioning. There are also free firewalls. There are two types. The first is Windows XP native firewall. This provides inbound protection...from anything trying to attack you via an open port at your IP address. However, it lets anything on your computer call out, including viruses. A third-party firewall can provide two-way protection for Windows XP. The key is that you will get messages asking you to allow ABCD.exe to access the internet. You'll need to research the files to understand if it's OK to allow it or not. You can save your choice, but any new programs or updated programs will pop up. If you will just click "OK" to allow access anyway, the Windows XP firewall is fine. If you want the extra control, a third-party firewall is a great idea. I can't personally recommend one myself since I'm running Windows 7 and the firewall there is two directional if you change a few options. So, no need for a third-party firewall for Windows Vista or Windows 7 if you set it up properly. Others may have a good free firewall recommendation. I used to use ZoneAlarm Free when I was running XP.

Just be careful that you antivirus doesn't include a firewall...some suites have one. You only want one each running of a firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware. Any more than one in each of those three categories will slow down your system or give you false positives.

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

Hi again
    Thanks for all the advice and info on firewalls.
    ATM I have McAfee personal firewall plus which runs fine alongside AVG 2012 Free.
    I have had the Mc Afee firewall on my PC since I first got the PC about 2 years ago.(boxed up as new never used XP home edition 2003 version)
    I believe It was installed by a friend who also installed AVG unless Mc Afee was already installed Thinking, I didn't think that McAfee was a free AV or firewall yet it has kept running on my PC for all this time without asking me to pay so can I presume the the stand alone personal firewall plus is actually free?
    In fact I have the whole McAfee security centre installed but all the options other than the firewall are disabled which I believe was done by my friend to avoid there being a clash when he installed AVG.
    As the Mc Afee firewall works so well could I keep it and just uninstall AVG and install one of the other free AV's or do you think there would be a problem?
    By the way had a look at the McAfee security centre interface this evening and it states that although the firewall is working it's not the latest version and there is an invitation to set up an account and log on with Mc Afee which me thinks will lead to an offer to buy the latest version! However the interface has a link to check the firewall for effectiveness and the rsult comes back as good. Also as mentioned in your run down on types and fuctions of other firewalls this one always questions when I install or adjust anything and I am asked do I want to grant access to the internet before the change can be made so it seems 'on the ball' to me?

Thanks
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

As far as I know, McAfee has a free trial period, but not a free firewall. I don't know for sure, though...I haven't used McAfee in years. It could have been a lifetime license, vs. the current annual subscription model. If you replace AVG with an antivirus only, you'll be fine for virus protection. Or as fine as you can be...no antivirus is 100% effective. Of course, an outdated firewall may not be up to date against new threats or state of the art firewall technology so that is the risk. It's less of a risk than running an outdated antivirus, but still not as secure as you could be.

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

Thanks
    Now I'm going to try to make this the final post from me on this subject.

Question 1 What free AV and free firewall in your opinion will work together on my machine?

Question 2 if/when I go ahead remove AVG and remove or disable the McAfee firewall
    How easy will it be to install the new chosen AV and firewall?
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

Don't worry about the number of posts, that's what this forum is for!
    • Question 1
      • The answer is that it depends. Some computers just don't like a particular antivirus as it can conflict with a program or combination of programs. It's rare, but it happens. If you notice a significant slowdown to your system, just uninstall that antivirus and try a new one until you find one you like. Ditto on the firewall. For antivirus, I recommend either Avast, Avira AntiVir or Microsoft Security Essentials. All are free for home use. I personally use Avast, although I may stop recommending it soon. The latest update was a bit finnicky. It seems to have settled down with the updates they have pushed out. If I do switch, it will be to Microsoft Security Essentials.
      • For firewalls, I have heard some of my colleagues recommend Online Armor Free. The free version of Comodo's Personal Firewall is also pretty solid.
    • Question 2
      • It is fairly straight-forward. Just uninstall via add/remove programs. For the antivirus, you should also run the AVG Removal Tool as antivirus uninstall routines usually aren't complete. Almost every antivirus has a standalone removal tool to run after you uninstall via add/remove programs.
      • I do recommend downloading the removal tool and the installer for the new antivirus. That way you can unplug the internet cable and disable the wireless connection, remove the antivirus then install the new one. Once you connect to the internet, immediately update the antivirus definitions. That minimizes the time you're connect with no antivirus, or an outdated one.

Free PC Help Contributor

PC Experience:
    Some Experience

Operating System:

Thanks for this. I have added the links you provide to my favourites and will be looking at doing a change over in the future.
    Thanks for your re assurance re the number of posts. I do feel that I may be repeating my questions to various of you kind folks and coming over as a bit of a time waster (ask so much and do nothing) but thanks I won't be so worried if you're not!
    Cheers
    Ray

PC Experience:
    Very Experienced

Operating System:

Nope...and if you have questions, that means others can and a google search will find this thread. So, you're helping others with the same questions as well. Safe surfing!