• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

1 port or 4 port wireless router

mikes2

FPCH New Member
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie so please go easy.

My parents want to sign up for wireless broadband and guess who's drawn the short straw. They have a desktop and a laptop.

Is a 1 port wireless router suitable or do I need a 4 port ?

Any help gratefully received ?

Thanks,
Mike

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to Free PC Help Mike.

The ports just refer to the number of computers that can connect by wire to the router. 4 ports shouldn't cost much more than a one port, so I'd go with the four.

mikes2

FPCH New Member
Thanks for the help.

reason for asking is, they're on a strict budget and I can get the 1 port for free.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You're welcome.

If you don't need a wired connection to the router, or just one wired connection, then go for the free one port:)

I'm assuming the one port router doesn't have 802.11b/g. If it does you're fine because you can buy a wi-fi card for the laptop. [If not you might find your net use a bit restricted (I assume that it'll mostly be plugged in to your folks computer). Of course if they only use the desktop occassionally you'd be OK to have the port most of the time - that's how my brother has it arranged at home.