• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

1st post,advice please.

randomeddy

FPCH Member
We have a laptop and a pc.I bought two adapters to make them both wireless.

The one for the laptop works fine.
The pc one wont perform.I can load the disc and the adapter works for a few minutes but disconnects itself.
I asked about and suggestions were made that as it is a Dell there could be some compatability issues,so I bought another one but it is the same,loads the software ok,works for a few minutes but then disconnects.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Random

Welcome to Free PC Help

Can you give us an idea what you mean by an "Adapter" please.
Do you mean a wireless router?
Bluetooth?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
What is the manufacturer and model number for the adapter?

How far away from the router is the is the PC? Sometimes there will be a metal obstacle between the two. I've seen where a refrigerator, microwave oven, or a heating/air conditioning air duct placed between the router and the computer will cause problems.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
By "dongle" I ***ume you mean a USB wireless adapter.

If correct, then a connection loss could be caused by an obstruction as kelly suggested, or a USB problem. A USB problem is typically caused by using a USB internet adapter on an older USB1 port, a power supply problem, or general poor functioning of the computer.

Try a different USB port. If that doesn't help, what does the signal strength show, and what is the model number of the PC?

With all that said, there are certain internet security packages (ahem...Norton) which can cause spurious internet dropouts. What are you using for internet security?

randomeddy

FPCH Member
Close to router,same room.
Nothing blocking it.
Tried different port.
Signal good.
Mcafee security. ( I think this is the problem.)
PC has recently been formatted and re installed.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I just reread the initial post and noted that you said "I can load the disc and the adapter works for a few minutes but disconnects itself."

The McAfee security could be the problem. Try turning off its firewall for a while to check.

pattheman

FPCH Member
hi random

i work for sky and i have noticed a few things about the router.

sky have released a new generation 2 router that looks like a tiny HD box (cute eh? lol) these are alot better than the original white ones.(see if u can book a service call to replace it if u feel the need to.) also that McAfee security programme, i wouldn't dream of using because it has had conflicts and basically is a marketing push for McAfee who has paid sky to put it on there disks.

i have also found that the net gear WG111T that sky normally uses for wireless dongles are also a conflicting device as its the new high speed dongle and it not only gets hot it doesnt like going ZERO CONFIG but the netgear software can cause problems. if this is what you have, netgear do normaly provide patches and quick fixes on there site.

http://www.netgear.com/

they normally answer within 24 hours too.

all the best in your search for a solution.

pattheman