• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

2 hard drives HELP!!!!

M Square

FPCH New Member
I recently bought a new hard drive for my PC. I'm running XP SP2 on it. I made the new hard drive the master drive and my old one is now the slave drive. I can view both drives from MY COMPUTER.

My problem is when I go to access a folder on the old drive it is saying "access denied".
I am trying to get to document and settings and then the owner folder. I have some music files that I would like to transfer over to my new drive

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can regain access to this folder?

Thanks in advance

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Please tell me how you configured each drive is the new one the master?

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Try sharing the slave drive and make sure you have permission to read & write to it

mikedodson

FPCH New Member
sorry I can't offer help, I'm looking for help on a similar problem.

Running XP home, I was trying to save data from a dying hard drive. I added new hard drive to the system and installed windows to it. The new drive was recognized as E:. Access to the old drive was still not possible. It was there but any attempt to read from it failed- a hardware error. After sending the bad drive out for data recovery, the system still recognized the now only HD as E:. I added another drive to the system, and it shows in the bios and device manager but not in my computer.

How can I get windows to show the new drive and is it possible to rename the primary drive as C:? Will that break all installed software that thinks its located on E:?