• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

2 pcs 2 problems..

wardyboyo

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
1.i have a pc which was given to me by my fathers friend..all he said was 'the hard drive fried'....so i out in a new hard drive (one i had from an old pc) and it goes post POST fine and the it comes to the advanced bopoting options screen..so i select one and 2 tgings can happen from here:
1.Start windows Normally: screen goes black, restarts
2.Safe Mode: goes up to Mup.sys and says press esc to cancel loading SPTD.sys or
something like that and if i press esc or leave it it just restarts
Could this be the PSU?

2.i want to format my other pc.. but i dont have a windows instalation disc..because i lent it to a friend ..he gave me a floppy and my pc doesnt have a floppy drive..

so is there a way to format and not lose windows?

Please help!

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
on #1: Also try booting to the 'Last known Good Configuration'; also try 'Disable automatic restart on system failure'. If you can get in, locate and move the SPTD.sys file to the desktop.

I searched my XP-Pro machine and didn't find a file with that name. I even checked in System Folders and Hidden files/folders. So I this SPTD isn't part of Windows. Something else put it in there.

wardyboyo

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
SPTD is some thing to do with things like deamon tools or something of that sort..
and regarding question 1 ...could it be the psu?..because i have tried what you suggested and no luck

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
wardyboyo said:
SPTD is some thing to do with things like deamon tools or something of that sort..
and regarding question 1 ...could it be the psu?..because i have tried what you suggested and no luck
No, it's not the PSU.

When you attempt to exchange a hard drive that already has XP installed, XP is going to have a fit because it was installed on a different computer, so now XP is like WTH is this? Percentage wise, here is what will happen

10% of the time, XP will find the new hardware and continue to boot. You may or may not have to install other drivers or activate XP again.

80% of the time, XP will require a repair installation and activation.

10% of the time, XP will require a clean install.