• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

3 oper sys - delete 2 - save data & settings?

lsbhoney

FPCH New Member
Hello, I've had to install a parrallel oper sys twice and now need to delete the other 2 but I don't want to loose my documents and programs. Is this possible?

Can you tell me what I need to do to save my stuff and then delete the other oper systems?

Thanks so much!

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Isbhoney

Right-click My Computer and select Properties.

Click on the Advanced Tab and click on Settings in the Startup and Recovery Box.

Click on Edit and a notepad window should open.

Copy and paste that here. DO NOT make any changes yet.

If you can make a screen shot of Disk Management that would also help.

To go to Disk Management -> Right-click My Computer and select Manage and click on Disk Management under Storage.

Last edited:

lsbhoney

FPCH New Member
'3 oper sys - delete 2 - save data & settings?

Hello maynardvdm!

Here is the info I copied and pasted, and the screen shot is attached below:

boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\TINA
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\TINA="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Attachments

W

Wolfeymole

Ok Tina delete these 2 entries:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\TINA="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

lsbhoney

FPCH New Member
save data & settings?

Thanks will I be able to save my files and settings from those systems? I currently get online on the tina partition. To make matters worst, my external hard drive broke so I have to pay for data retrieval/recovery which will be a few hundred bucks.

I don't have hardly any programs on my computer so I don't want to loose what few I may have if I delete the other oper systems. (I thought the external drive was the fail safe option so I put everything on it, I really learned a lesson that nothing is 100% safe.)

W

Wolfeymole

Ok when it boots up and you have X amount of seconds to choose one of the three operating systems chose the 2nd option and tell me what that looks like and if all your programs still reside on that section.