• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

5/9/08 Update: XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
XP SP3 crashes AMD machines
By Stewart Meagher: Friday, 09 May 2008

Excerpt...
Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is
not even possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort
before setting up a repeated forehead/screen interface.

XP SP3 crashes AMD machines - The INQUIRER

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
If this is true - which I have no trouble believing - can you say DUMB.
Using the same image for Intel/AMD is just plain lazy or clueless. There are hundreds if not thousands of keys that an Intel box will have that AMD won't have and vice versa.
Well you can tell they're not Advanced Technicians.

I read the headline and thought - I have AMD and I didn't have any problems.

According to Johansson, there appears to be two separate problems. One affects only AMD-equipped PCs sold by Hewlett-Packard. "The problem is that HP, apparently along with other OEMs, deploys the same image to Intel-based computers that they do to AMD-based computers," said Johansson.
ENSURE your system does not have any Malware and run a temporary file cleaner like ATF and run a CHKDSK on your system before the upgrade and aside from dumb mistakes like this cloning, you shouldn't have any trouble installing SP3

petef

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Ultimate
ENSURE your system does not have any Malware and run a temporary file cleaner like ATF and run a CHKDSK on your system before the upgrade and aside from dumb mistakes like this cloning, you shouldn't have any trouble installing SP3

Sounds like good advise. I might add, if you do have an AMD processor,
it's also a good idea to create your own image backup using a program
such as Acronis or Norton Ghost, just in case something goes bad
with SP3. ---pete---