• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

95 thinks all cd's are Audio CD's

I have aquired a VERY old POS laptop (sharp-9050) with windows 95 installed. Just fooling around with it, I found that the CD Rom thinks everything put into it, including the windows 95 cd, is an audio cd.

I remember having this issue a LONG time ago when I first started working with computers, but can not seem to remember the solution.

Don't stress yourself out trying to figure this out. This laptop is going to be a glorified text reader till I can fix my LifeDrive and possibley get a laptop from this decade

If I remember correctly, autoplay was not introduced till.... 98SE? Someone Correct me on that.

But back to the issue, I think it might have something to do with drivers. When you go to My Computer and check the cd-rom after you put, lets say, the windows 95 oem disk in you will see that it comes up as an audio cd actually displays audio tracks (cda format) dispite the fact that it is in reality a data cd

Once again, don't rack your brain on this one. It displays text files and thats all it needs to do for now. Just curiosity on my part.

afraid not. This one is an ?internal?

Whatever you want to call it when you switch it out for a floppy.

Just pulled it out. Model No. ujdcd6731 by Kyushu Matsu****a Electric.

AKA, No name brand lmfao

Yeah, I hear ya RL. I have not seen this kinda problem in ages! For the life of me I still cant remember what caused it. Direct-CD doesnt jog any memorys.

EDIT:
This laptop looked out of place on my desk till I put my old PalmIII next to it and spread some old 1.44 floppys around. Now it just looks like I went back in time LMFAO!

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
There is a difference between auto play and auto run. But that's not the issue.

I know it's a long shot since this is an old Windows 95 computer and you only mention a CDROM but by any small chance is any version of Nero or Roxio installed?

RandyL

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Well since it's a used computer I always suggest to reinstall the OS anyway.

DSL on Windows 95? Don't waste your time trying.

RandyL

First thing I checked when I got this thing. It does work but it involves 50 Floopys :O

It works ok as it is for a text editor. If I want anything more I will just have to break down and buy an up to date brick-I mean laptop. Thanx for the input guys