• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

A Burnt CD currupted.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
I am running XP SP2. 1gig ram.

The problem is I have this CD that I can't read anymore. I have downloaded several programs to check it. Only one did find files on it, but can't retrieve them. And I can't remember what the program was called. I would hate to trash the CD as it has some files I need and I don't have backups for.

I am also looking for a freeware program if possible.

So does anyone have any ideas?

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Yes, that was the near first thing I have tried. I know there is stuff on the CD, as I tried one program, and even showed me what was on it. But I had to register the program to get the files.

What the program was called, I forget.

juniper

FPCH Member
i dont know if this will work but there is logic in my madness.. why not try and copy the cd to another cd?

do you have two disc drives or do you know someone with a usb cd/dvd drive.

if that program you found, found files on the disc maybe copying from one disc to another could work and maybe solve the problem.

let me know if you try this and it works lol

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
When I put it in a drive, it tells me there is nothing on it. I have even tried putting it in a burner drive. It still couldn't find anything. It just spins trying to find something.

Matalan

FPCH Member
I had this problem with one of my Burners - the thing screwed up and would spend ages writing nothing to CD. Use CD Recovery Toolbox to try and restore some data but if the drive has not physically written anything to the disk there is nothing you can do. Either your CDs are rubbish or the Burner is broken. I went out and brought a new one of Novatech for £20.00 and that works perfectally
Regards
Matalan

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
I know for a fact that the burner is not broken. Just that this one CD got corrupt somehow. There are no scratches on the disk. I mentioned above that I did find a program that showed stuff on it, but had to register it to get the files. Just looking for a freeware if possible.

Thats ok Danzil, I know what its like too be busy.