• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

a disc read error occurred

stevenram

FPCH Member
well i am not a happy chappy and not very bright when problems arive,this is my latest and now i am on another computer to try and sort this out...without loosing all my important docs.
anyone help me please...i instsalled a game from ea sports last night and succesfully played the game.i then turned off my computer and restarted it again today for me to get a a disc read error occurred ...i cannot use the windows disc to repair as this is not recognised i cannot start the computer in safe mode by pressing f8 basically i cant do anything...please advise...

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
wow - you may be in a pickle. If you can, I suggest that you pull the hard drive and put it on another machine to backup your files before doing anything else.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
yup - you're in a tough spot. In another forum, I heard that HDDRegenerator might be able to help. I'm not all that familiar with it so I'm hoping that others will voice an opinion.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Dunno if this will help or not, but we had a problem with our hard drive a week or so ago. It turns out the hard drive was completely broken. We had been able to access it and rescue our files using the Ubuntu Live CD though so maybe that would be worth a try.

I am sure there are better/more technical ways of doing it though.

W

Wolfeymole

Is the drive recognised in the bios at all Steve?
If not make sure it securely connected then have another look.
If it's still not showing then my money is on it being good for a paperweight.

hi, dose your pc/laptop boot in to windows?? in device manager dose it see the cd-rom/ dvd-rw?? or is there a yellow? over it/at the side of the drive??