• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

A fast new browser out

Goku

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
I tried it but didn't notice much difference. I think the difference will be more noticeable in a faster computer.

-- Goku

Goku

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
On my system
FF = 18 secs to load
CB = 3 secs
Big difference
That is indeed a marginal diffrence Rob. However, I doubt Firefox's loading time is that much. It is about 10 seconds on my system and it is not a very high end one. Do you have a lot of add-ons installed?

Dalo Harkin said:
I still use IE - I dont see any of the benefits of other browsers that people use.
They all do the same and IE is fine.
You are right Dave but some people just like to customize these applications and Internet Explorer is not very accommodating in that aspect. Thats where other browsers beat the share. I liked Internet Explorer till I found Netscape and later still Mozilla Firefox. Guess, it all boils down to each one's personal preference. :)

-- Goku

W

Wolfeymole

If Firefox is taking 18 seconds to load Rob there's something seriously adrift on a system with those capabilities.

Firefox loads for me in 4 seconds and that's without FireTune.

With Firetune it's roughly 1.5 seconds.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
right - let me get this right - you are classing a loading time from clicking the launch icon to the home page appearing yes?
IE on mine is less than .5 of a second - I kid you not.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
From the shortcuts on my desktop, both IE7 and FF open Google in about .5 seconds.

This is slightly longer directly following a cold boot.

rowal5555

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Well you guys won't be too worried about a faster browser, LOL.

I have a few addons because that is what FF is all about, but not an excessive number. Actually, my default browser is OPERA which I find just does about everything I require very nicely.

I expect my machines to be a little slower as I am rather passionate about Folding@Home (using spare CPU cycles to help Stanford University find cures for the common diseases which afflict millions of people) so 60% of my CPU use is going to that 24/7. In saying that, this is a soft programme which fades into the background when resources are needed for other uses.

Getting back to the subject, I have been using CometBird quite a bit over the last few days and it seems pretty good. Still have to try Cloud Computing with Google Chrome yet.

Each to their own - I never use IE unless I have to for MS stuff.

Cheers

Goku

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Thats certainly worth the cause Rob! :)

A few seconds of delay on your behalf is helping thousands of people on the other end which is commendable. Glad you can browse easily and quickly with CometBird now.

-- Goku

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
I find CometBird to run much faster than FireFox, which is nice. And not as much of a memory hog as Google Chrome. (Which isn't saying much...)