• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

A new pc with a linux distro as OS.

Jabulaniboy

FPCH New Member
Hi everyone I am new here to this forum.

I searched on google for forums like these, this one as the option on linux. Ok basically im a computer wizz with a good pc atm. I run windows xp sp2, looking to change to linux. I have done a lot of research on the net over the past month or so. I am looking to buy a new pc and i want to install any linux distro on it as OS.

Now my problem is... I am a bit confused :?, normally I can search for components on my own because i know very much of these things. My main problem atm is the cpu, and graphics of a new pc, not so much the graphics(NVIDIA). What i want to use the pc for are:
1) I want to use linux on it.
2) Games on the internet such as Css and Warcraft3(I am a heavy gamer, go to lans ex).
3) I am starting to use some of the hacking programs that you can get on the net.
4) I am also a developer, i use delphi.
5) I am also a heavy multi task person(run a game, music, Firefox, delphi all at the same time).

I have worked on some linux distro's before and I am looking at Red Hat Fedora, Ubuntu or Debian. I am still a beginner in many of the script base programs. I work many hours a day on my pc, and I am learning much stuff about script base programs as the days go by. I also use some hack base programs like Python and Unix(I am a good hacker not a evil one :p).

So yeah that is basically what I use my pc for and so forth. I just want to know about components that will fit my need for a pc, like the cpu(Intel or AMD), i understand AMD is more efficient for script base programs. Graphics, don't really know if it makes such a big difference in what programs you use. I can also post the list of components i want to put in my pc...

Any help would be appreciated thanks :D

Jamey

FPCH Member
I think you should opt for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor, they are good value and provide great performance. Obviously you'll need a socket AM2 motherboard; make sure you get one with these technologies: PCI Express, SATA/300 (as opposed to SATA/150), DDR2, Gigabit Ethernet and built-in surround audio. That should be a good enough specification to run all of the latest games and give good performance for whatever OS you are using.

Make sure you couple it with at least 2 GB of fast DDR2 memory, preferably a matched set.