• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

A new PC

W

Wolfeymole

I'm looking to get a new box shortly and was considering the XPS range from Dell, but they have shuffled them around and now I've gone off them.

I was considering this setup from HP.

The only thing that concerns me is the Media Center thing.

What's the considered opinion?

Scroll up to see the pic.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I don't think you can go wrong with any HP...like a Honda.

Media Center is just XP Pro with some media stuff:)

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
lol

Might be hard to get a new PC with XP on it.

Media Center is just the OS with with media bells and whistles.

Where does it say media center anyway?

W

Wolfeymole

Touche

I've seen that it has somewhere mate and I was ***uming it had anyway with the rather large remote control parked up in the picture and the addition of a TV tuner.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
I'd go with Vista for the technical/repair experience. As someone who is also helping others with computer problems, you may want to as well.

...until Window's Seven comes out within two years;)

W

Wolfeymole

On the going with Vista, kicking and screaming as I might be, it has to be case.
When I fixed the daughters Vista box I was on it for about 4 hours and I reckon it's something I could get used to quite easily.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
I wish I could afford a PC like that,lol. I think I'll need to get a desktop for uni, but it'll probably be a dell ( 40% off and all that) and no where near as high spec as that.

I think I'm one of the only people who like vista, I mean at first I really didn't like it but now I know how it works I have found myself liking it and more. Probably because it looks cool. It also helps that I don't use the laptop for gaming or anything and the fact it hasn't broken down yet. In comparison to XP on 256mb of ram though Vista seems relatively fast with 1Gb. Which means compared with what i was used to I found it much quicker for getting things done.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
In comparison to XP on 256mb of ram though Vista seems relatively fast with 1Gb.
A relevant speed comparison between XP and Vista can only be had by using two identical computers with clean installs of the operating systems.

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Sorry Seth, me being not technical enough, yet again. All i was saying really though was that when i got my laptop with vista, it was faster and still is than what i was used to. Which was one of the main worries to me.

W

Wolfeymole

Just like me Shrimpley when I did the daughters box and I'd never had any dealings with Vista before then.

Well we shall see how it pans out.
Can you imagine running XP on that spec listed above?
I mean just what hardware can be used or not to install XP on that box?

jpph

FPCH New Member
dont get that pc, its not good value at all. everything is good apart from the gpu which is rubbish! seriously thats terrible value.

W

Wolfeymole

Oh!

I'd be keen to know why jpph.

I'm not heavily into gaming so the gpu is not really that important and if your talking from a DIY point of view, forget it as I don't have the time.

Please elaborate.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Saving a load of cash is still true - just buy OEM stuff :)
There is no point in buying a retail CPU if you are going to put an uprated cooler on it ;)

W

Wolfeymole

Ok throw me some options that will work together without any fuss.
I intend to get another 500GB drive (internal only) rather than a 1TB also.

I hate external hard drives.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
If you want reliability without the fuss, then go for hardware that has already been tested to work together. I.E. A decent OEM system.

I'm not saying you won't encounter hardware problems with it, but it is much less susceptible to such than gathering components and ***embling a pc.

Dalo,

Are you still ripping your hair out with that home built computer?:D

W

Wolfeymole

To paraphrase a line from Full Metal Jacket, Vista is a huge **** sandwich and we are all gonna have to take a bite, no matter what in the long term.

To be honest I would just rather go with the one box aspect rather than throw components together and run XP because the support will ending before long, will certain hardware work when I install Vista? etc.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Dalo,

Are you still ripping your hair out with that home built computer?:D

Lol , yes :D
This one even has me stumped - Wolfey - just buy components that are mainstream so ASUS for MOBO (unlike me :() OCZ ram (like me :D) and a core 2 duo or quad.
throw it together and away you go - ASUS OCZ and INTEL work really well together being the 3 main leaders in their fields -
I agree on the external HDD's waste of time ;)