• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Adding Ram!

Hi guy's,
my first post so please be gentle;).

Can anyone on the following problem;-
My PC came with 2x1 gig of 8500 ram, which i want to upgrade to 4x1gig. I have now bought the other 2 gig(same type,same make). I installed it into the two free slots and started up my pc. It wouldn't post past the the Asus load screen, and i can't get into the bios. It just hangs!
I have taken out the 2 sticks that came with the PC to see if the new ram was faulty, but it booted up and is running fine.

Can anyone give me a few pointers of things to try?

Regards
craig

My specs;-
Q6600
Asus P5N-D
2gig 8500 ram
8800GT
Tagan 700

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Craig

Welcome to Free PC Help

I'll investigate this further but try your old ram in slots 1 and 3 then insert your new ram in slots 2 and 4.

Hi wolfey thanks for the quick reply!
Just to clarify;-
When i got the PC it had ram in slots 1 and 3, i obviously put the new ram in slots 2 and 4. After the PC wouldn't startup i took the old ram out of slots 1 and 3 and left the new ram in 2 and 4, and it's working fine. It's only when all 4 slots are taken up that the problem exists.
I have already tried the old ram in slots 2 and 4 due to a problem with the pc when i got it, it worked fine!! The previous problem was due to an overclock which has now been removed!
Does this help?

Thanks again!

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well it's obviously an incompatibility issue if you can't get into BIOS with that RAM installed.

Just because a MB supports 8GB of RAM it has to meet specific criteria. Visit the ASUS Website and confirm what RAM is supported by the MB Asus is often very specific about what RAM you can use that has been tested with the system and often RAM purchased Online is of a cheaper nature and does not work properly with a lot of MBs.

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Get the latest BIOS for the board and try again and if that doesnt work you will need to set the timings and the voltage of the RAM differently remember that if you are using more RAM sticks then they will require more voltage to make them all run..........
If for an example you are running the 2GB at 5-5-5-15 and 42 tRAS
you will NEVER get that speed with 4GB you need to drop it 4-4-4-12 and you may get away with 42 tRAS but may have to up it to 52

craigieboy7

FPCH Member
Hi guy's thanks for all the replys since i was last on. From various opinions i have had they agree with Dalo, voltages have to be changed! I was hoping it was just plug and play. since i'm a complete novice i think i may leave it and sell the ram. Would the voltages still need changed if i were to get 2x2gig sticks of ram?

Again thanks for the replys and your time!!!!
craig

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
As with all memory they all have 2 things that they need -
Timings (speed it runs)
Voltage (power supplied)

Motherboards will set it's own of the 2 above so that it runs, but the manufacturers specs are very different and even more so with 2x2GB sticks -
to get the MAX performance out of the memory you NEED to set to what they recommend on their website. ;)

craigieboy7

FPCH Member
I think it sounds a bit too technical for my basic knowledge, so i think i'll take it to someone who knows what their doing. I don't what to cause more problems!!

Thanks for all the advice guy's/gal's!!!:)