• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Amazon Fire 7

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Hi all,

Merry Christmas. Hope this post is okay on this forum. I've been given an Amazon 7 for a prezzie. Now hoping to become au fait with it, but whizz-kid I am not. But does anyone know if, having downloaded OS maps which show all roads etc, but not walking paths/routes crossing moors fields etc etc, if it's possible to find an app that will allow this, free or otherwise?
I know this is possible on smart phones, where a route can be planned, or even automatically recorded whilst walking & then saved. To be able to do likewise on this tablet would be the bees-knees.

Thanks in anticipation.

KenB

Administrator
Hi bj,

I have had a quick look - and it seems that Amazon use their own OS with the Fire 7 - similar to Android but with differences.
See here - click here
I think you may be limited to Amazon App Store.

KenB

Administrator
I may have jumped the gun a little bj .....
All the apps you’ll run on a Fire tablet are Android apps, too.
If this is the case you can locate an Android App [ software designed for Google machines ] it may run on your machine.

Take a look here - click here - It may be worth a couple of pounds to see if the OS maps work on your machine :)

These OS maps cover a limited area - you have to buy further maps of different areas if you wish to expand

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Actually Ken, that would suite me perfectly, as I don't need the entire UK covered, just Yorkshire, West & North, those are the area's that my walking group covers, which are vast. Being a re-located Lancastrian, there's a lot of fabulous scenery that I need to explore.

Thanks for your help.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Hi KenB,

Not had the chance to try your solution yet, been very busy, don't know how I found the time to go to work!! Will post up when tried.

Edit. Having come back to the forum to post the above, I couldn't login, my shortcut showed site unavailable. Going through Google still gave site unavailable, I had to cache it to get on the forum. Logged in etc, ticked box to stay logged, came out & tried to go straight back in, same scenario? I've recently had a few problems with Kaspersky Security, but all seems fine now, but I had to re-install Adblock Plus. All my other shortcuts are working as per normal, except PC help? Is there a problem with the site, or is it the Adblock Plus, even though it has always been on my laptop.

Last edited:

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Ken's right.
The address did change a while back, the .co.uk domain was kept and redirected to the .uk domain.
Seems the .co.uk domain has now expired.... so only the .uk domain works now.

bj43cj47

Free PC Help Contributor
Sorted, for a while there I thought I'd lost my first "port of call" for PC problem solving.
@KenB, hence my reason to send you a PM as I couldn't access the site.