• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

AMD ATHLON 64 BIT X2

mertymcfly

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
HI, i have an Amd Athlon x 2 64 bit, its has not been working for months now, so i just left it in the attiq, the problem is, when i turn the switch on from hardrive, the fans turn on, the lighst come on, it sounds fully functioning, but the lcd moniter, which is 19inch does not turn on? it says 'no signal input'. Its not the power supply, or the wires behind the moniter, i have cheked them several times. On a very rare occasion it may swicth on, but after a while it will go bak to 'no signal input'.

Im very new to pcs, and this Pc is a small shuttle, wid 1gb ram. I searched on this, some said it could be a molecule or dust stoping a connection, 2 me that souns silly, but i my Pc looks new, n the inside isnt dusty at all, the Fan has hardly any dust around it, n i cleaned it just to check aswell, It still says 'no signal input'.

If someone could reply in simple english, n not soo technical, it would be appreiated, if there are any technical terms, then please say what it is n where it can be found etc.

Please Help
Many Regards.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Welcome to Free PC Help.

There is a few things here.
Eiter the monitor is not working or
The graphics card is faulty.

First test the monitor on another working computer to see if it is working.

Do you have onboard graphics (the connector is by the Input/output ports) or a seperate graphics card (the connector will be on its own)?

mertymcfly

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
AMD ATHLON 64 BIT X2

HI,

I tried it using a different monitor, but it shows the moniter was not faulty at all. The shuttle does have an onboard graphics, When i tried the Hardrive on a different Pc, I got the same problem, no signal input. I did a couple of times atatch the shuttle to a 42 inch philips plasma, and the desktop would show on the 42 inch, i did mess around with the resolution at the time, im nt aware of what resolution i was using, but there was a mess arnd with resolution and monitor 1/2 etc. SO, im not sure if resolution has any part in this? maybe i would have 2 re connect it to the 42 inch, and reset the resolution back to normal? just a possibility.

Im not sure with the onboard graphics , if it has omehow corrupted or a circuit when faulty, what would be my next steps? I mean I hoep i dont have to buy a complete new motehr board, if thats the case?

Thanks for your reply, Still need help
Many Reagrds

mertymcfly

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Hi,

I forget to mension the graphics car, the input/output behind the shuttle, well the lead that comes from the moniter does not connect straight behind, I have this small additional connection plug that I have to screw behind the shuttle, then ontop of it i screw the Monitor lead onto it. (IM not familiar wid what its called, but you can imagine it I hope)

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Ok, Try to remove the graphics card and just use the onboard vga to see if it will start. I doubt it has anything to do with resolution coz then you would have at least been able to start in safe mode.

Tootech

FPCH Member
If it is still not starting up try these steps.

Make sure the mains power is switched off at the wall socket.

Disconnect the hard drive and CD drive.

Remove the power connectors from the mainboard and then plug them back in.

Remove the memory from its slot(s) and reinstall it.

Leave the drives disconnected and power it back up - does it power up?

mertymcfly

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Hi, I did exatcly what both of you said and the PC is still showing up as a 'no signal input'. I thought it would work, but we are getting the same results.

The strange thing is Pc helpers, is that the fans turn on, its clean and seems like the hardrive works like normal, i dont even get a funny noice, its sounds very smooth, just as a normal pc would.

What other help is available, there was a time where the PC would swicth off on its own after a while, I gave it to a Friend, and he said the Shuttle would get to hot, thats the reason it turns off, so he fitted a case fan behind it, and it started working for longer steadly. SO, im not sure if a circuit on the mother baord mite have blown up.

The Shuttle still remains in its no signal input state. Any other suggestions, I realy do apprciate all this help!!

Still need Help
Many Regards

Tootech

FPCH Member
Considering what you say about it actually firing up and running, and after all the checks, I'd guess the video chip has gone faulty.

It may be fixable by adding a seperate video card, but I ought to point out that if there is a board fault, there may be other faults also. It's worth borrowing a video card if you can to check it out.

If you can post the motherboard model number, we will be able to recommend a replacement.