• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Another Vista bootup problem

mtnbiker

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
OK, everyone, here's hopefully an easy problem for all you really smart people out there in this forum. I have been pulling my hair out on this one and tried everything I know to try. I have an Acer Aspire X1200 with Vista home premium running on it. It developed a problem where it will not completely boot up. It appears like it is, but it goes to a screen after it goes through the BIOS and splash screen, that has the user name in it at the bottom part of it with shut down options to the right of it. When I click on the user name in the box, a message comes up on the screen that says shutting down, so it shuts down and tries to restart and does the same thing again. I have installed the drive in another computer as a secondary drive and have run malwarebytes, avg, and other error checking software on it and nothing checks bad on the drive. By the way, it will boot up in the safe mode. What's up. Thanks for any help.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Are there any other 'User Accounts' on the PC?
Do these work ok?
If the other accounts work ok, have you tried starting a new user account for yourself and see if that works.
Maybe there's a corruption within the account itself.

When you say it will boot into Safe Mode, is this with your account or the Admin account?

mtnbiker

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Hi Starbuck..No there is only one user name on the computer. Hate to say this, but I'm not sure how to create , I don't think, another user. And when it comes up in the safe mode, I'm not sure what account it comes up in. Not sure how to tell that either. Sorry, but thanks for any more help.

mtnbiker

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Ok Starbuck, I think u have me on my way. I figured out how to create a new user in the safe mode and the computer did come up ok with the new user name. Should I delete the old user name now and recreate it? Or if I do delete it and create another user with the same name, will the problem come back? And will I loose files if I do delete it? I really appreciate how far u have gotten me so far.

mtnbiker

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Ok, thanks Armaggedon I will check it out and try to get them all moved. I assume after the corrupted user name is deleted, I can't create another user with the same name, correct??

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Sort of correct, but if you wish to use that name, just put a figure 2 after it, the system will still see that as a new name and accept it.

Nev.

mtnbiker

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Ok, gotcha Nev. Understand and will do that. Thanks to everyone for their help, I have learned a little more now about computers and I appreciate that.