• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Anyone else ever had this weird message . . . ? . . .

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Had googled something in the news and tried to enter the site - Microsoft Internet Explorer box came up saying I have to agree to enter the site - never had that before so I just clicked the x to come off it and not bother . . . but the message in the M.I.E. box then changed to "Will you stick up for snails everywhere?"

???!!!

At same time, Kaspersky popped up saying it's blocked a pop up - was unable to click on AnYTHING as it was clearly wanting me to click in that box again - obv. I didn't want to so had to log of internet and back on.

Have NEVER seen that before - has anyone else?! Googled but cannot find anything.

Thanks.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Andrea

Welcome to Free PC Help

Your computer could be infected with Malware.

Malware is the term used to describe computer infections such as Adware, Spyware, Viruses, and Trojan Horses.
You will need to run at least two malware scanners as well as an Antivirus scanner that are listed in the following instructions.
Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus scanners perform different tasks.
The reason to run multiple scanners is to ensure that no single scanner is missing something.

The time it takes will vary depending on your system and your internet connection.
Typically the SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes scanners will take between 30 and 90 minutes.
The Eset online scan should take between 1 and 3 hours.
In most cases, these scans will suffice to clean and disinfect your computer.

For best results print the following instructions and bookmark this Web page
To keep this guide printer-friendly, use your cursor to highlight the contents below.
From your browser select File - Print and in the printer dialog box under "Print range"
click the Selection choice to print out these instructions for removal of malware.

• Follow these instructions carefully.
  • Download ATF-Cleaner from Snapfiles.com to remove "junk" files from your computer that may contain malware.
  • You can also download it from Majorgeeks.com
  • When you run ATF-Cleaner, check the items as shown below for Main.
  • For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab on top and check the items as shown below for FireFox
  • Then click on "Empty Selected".
  • Install and run the free version (not the Professional version) of SUPERAntiSpyware from www.superantispyware.com
    • Accept any prompts to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to install the latest rules and infection definition files.
    • You do not have to send them your e-mail address, just click next.
    • You can leave the automated check for updates on.
    • You can uncheck "Send a diagnostic report to research center" if you don't want to send the information.
    • DO NOT allow SUPERAntiSpyware to protect your Home Page settings.
    • On the Top Left select the Scan your computer button.
    • Make sure there is a CHECK MARK on all Fixed Drives.
    • Click "Perform a Complete Scan". Click "Next" and reboot the computer when prompted to do so.
  • Disable your internet security by right clicking on its icon (usually located in the system tray next to the time display) and choosing "Exit", "Disable", or "Shut Down".
  • Run an online scan with Eset from http://www.eset.com/onlinescan
  • You must use Internet Explorer for this online scan. FireFox, Opera, etc will not work for this scan.
  • Accept the terms and click "Start".
  • Once the scanner is ready, check "Remove found threats" AND "Scan unwanted applications".
  • Click "Start" to begin the scan.
  • When completed restart your computer
Make sure your internet security is enabled, and then please return to Free PC Help and tell us how the computer seems to be operating.
At that time, you will receive instructions to assist you in removing malicious programs from your Add/Remove program list.

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
thanks so much for quick reply - am doing now and let you know.

Kind regards

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
I have downloaded the ATF Cleaner - it brought up the Main one and message came saying done and mbs have been freed up so that is fine.

However, the Firefox tab on the top is gred out and only option is to Exit . .

Sorry to bother you!! Please help!!!!!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Andrea.

The Firefox tab will be greyed out if you don't use the Firefox internet browser.

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Duh - sorry for being thick! The panic must have frazzled my brain!!!!

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Duh - sorry for being thick!
Not at all. Everyone has different talents.

Actually, I'm glad you pointed that out, as that means we need to alter our malware response to be more clear on that.

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Hello again! I have gone through ALL instructions and pc seems be working fine. Thank you for your patience and help!

The end of the instructions say when I get back to you, i will need to go through the add/remove program list?

Thanks,

Andrea.

W

Wolfeymole

Does your pc seem to be working more efficiently now Andrea?

Please bear with us while the tech members that deal with Add/Remove issues come online.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
That is just if you want to remove any unwanted or unused software on your pc. Dont just uninstall something you dont know. Post here if there is a program that you dont know about. Also i've found that screensaver and added toolbars normally cause more bad than good, but that is up to you whether you use it.
Good to hear the pc is running fine :)

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Hiya, yeah pc working perfect. First 2 scans found quite a few threats, the last one found nothing . . .

Off work with sprained ankle so I'm in all night so no rush!

Kind regards

W

Wolfeymole

Thank you Andrea

Peruse the forums at your leisure while you wait and allow me to offer sympathy regarding your ankle.

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
Sorry - I didn't know you'd replied when I posted that . . . I will see how pc goes and get back to you if I have any more problems as seems to be fine for now?

Thanks again for your help - greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Andrea.

Andrea31

FPCH Member
PC Experience
PC Illiterate
Operating System
I take so long typing my reply I'm always answering the prev. post!!!

Thank you for your sympathy - I'm sick of daytime tv so hopefully won't be off too long now!

Take care.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Hello again! I have gone through ALL instructions and pc seems be working fine. Thank you for your patience and help!

The end of the instructions say when I get back to you, i will need to go through the add/remove program list?

Thanks,

Andrea.
Well done Andrea:)

No worries on the add/remove program list. You're good to go.

You aren't aware of it, but you have have provided us mods with very relevant information.

Welcome to FPCH.