• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Attachments

maya

FPCH New Member
Hello,
I've been trying to send someone a letter that I created in openoffice but they cannot open it and have asked if I could send it in a different format.

How do I do this?

Many thanks, Maya.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Maya

Welcome to Free PC Help.

Try saving it as filename.doc Just change filename to whatever you what.

Hope this helps.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Maya

Also the recipients would have to have Open Office for them to properly open the email as it was intended.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
After creating your document in Open Office click File>Save As.

In the Save as type: box click the down arrow.

Select the type of file your recipient can open.

Click save.

Send the file.

If it's plain text or such you can also copy the contents and paste it into the email body.

Whichever format you send it the reciever can also right click the attachment and choose the "Open With" option to choose a compatibale format to use. (CAUTION. They may want to uncheck the always use this option if it's selected).

I use Open Office too;
RandyL

maya

FPCH New Member
Thanks guys.

RandyL - I've just tried doing that, You can tell I don't send attachments often..lol

On a different note, I've just downloaded the trial version of microsoft office 2007 the home/student package, I rewrote the letter and saved it to my documents but it just saves as encryption (is it?).
If I send this as an attachment to someone will it show up as this or as the original letter?
Also if I get an attachment sent to me as a microsoft word document what do I 'open with'?

I'm so sorry, I'm terrible with computers:eek:
I also really hate openoffice:mad:

Thanks, Maya.

Rusty

Banned FPCH Member
Thanks guys.

RandyL - I've just tried doing that, You can tell I don't send attachments often..lol

On a different note, I've just downloaded the trial version of microsoft office 2007 the home/student package, I rewrote the letter and saved it to my documents but it just saves as encryption (is it?).
If I send this as an attachment to someone will it show up as this or as the original letter?
Also if I get an attachment sent to me as a microsoft word document what do I 'open with'?

I'm so sorry, I'm terrible with computers:eek:
I also really hate openoffice:mad:

Thanks, Maya.
Microsoft word viewer.
cheers
Rusty

maya

FPCH New Member
****, I feel like a complete plank now!
I didn't realise it was so easy. oops.

Thanks again x

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I haven't looked lately but the last time I did Open Office could not yet deal with opening Office 2007 doc files.

I sincerely hope that's changed or will change in the future.

In my opinion Microsoft is cutting their own throat by not making their Office software work with newer versions of their Operating system.

For instance Office 2000 Pro will not work on Vista. So if you have Office 2000 files you can't open them in Vista unless you buy the new Office program.

Your old program won't work on Vista. So you have either lost your files when you get a new computer or you depend on an open source program to view them. Unless you buy it again.

As such unless you have money you may want to continue using free open source or consider another alternative.

The above is based on my personal opinion.

Sorry but I have no experience with 2007. I'm sure you will get your answer soon though.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Microsoft Office 2007 has it's own new format by default but can save the files as more versions/types than any other Document Editor that I know of.

Make sure you use Save AS and select like an older Word version which most other Document Editors should be able to open. To be really certain you could use .RTF (Rich Text Format) and even WORDPAD can open it. But then you can loose a lot of formatting potentially.

The latest format that Microsoft has is the XML that has been approved (so they say) so that every editor that supports XML can open, read, write the file.