• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Audio problems.

pablo82

FPCH New Member
Hi all, I had to reload Windows XP after a virus meant I needed to get a new hard drive and now I am having problems getting any audio output. The old 5.1 I used to use is now not working on my PC (it does on my other so its not broke). I have also tried to plug in headphones but they are not registering either. Has anyone got any ideas what I can do? Thanks very much.

Paul.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi.
In the device manager is there a red x or yellow exclamation mark next to the sound devices. Did you install the sound card driver when you reinstalled windows?

Let us know.

Cheers

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Right-click on my computer

Select properties

Click on the hardware tab

And click on device manager

There will be a list of all the hardware. Check by sound,video and game controllers.

pablo82

FPCH New Member
Ok, there are a lot of yellow question marks, but none connected with the sound icon. They come under 'other devices'.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Please go here to Craig's PCI Programs and download his PCI dection software.

Craig's PCI Programs

Get this file
Download PCI32.ZIP Version 1.6 19/12/2007

Create a new folder on your C: drive named PCI so it would be like C:\PCI
Extract all the files into C:\PCI

Then also download this file PCIDEVS.TXT
Copy it to the C:\PCI folder and overwrite the current one there.

Then start a DOS Prompt (the black box) and type the following commands (pressing the ENTER key after each line)

CD \PCI
PCI32.EXE >MYCOMPUTER.TXT
NOTEPAD MYCOMPUTER.TXT

This will then give you a list of the installed hardware so that you know what drivers you need to get.

What MFG of computer is it?
What MODEL is it?
What CPU do you have? Intel or AMD? This will help us to know if you need an Intel or AMD chipset driver which tells the system about the hardware as well.

Most big brand computers have a Website where you can go to get and download all the latest drivers.