• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Back to the beginning

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I am back again :) The repairs took all my personalization away and I 've forgotten how I got there! I did try the b/tooth that KenB advocated and found the parameters were incorrect. What are parameters in techno speak? I have hopefully selected and cropped a screen shot so that may be helpful-or not......
jim

1649860401084.png

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

The repairs took all my personalization away and I 've forgotten how I got there!
What exactly are you trying to do?
Are you trying to get to the Windows 10 personalization page.......

pers.PNG

If so .... Right click on the Start button ( bottom left of your screen)
Select Settings
On the Settings page, select Personalisation.

Or are you trying to setup the Bluetooth adapter?

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I was going back over old posts where I lost the procedure because of my inability to follow instructions. In other words I just realized what I should do to print and paste a screen - or crop what I wanted in that screen. For that I needed Irfanview which I have recently downloaded (free). At the time I was attempting to get Bluetooth to work when I switched on automatically. The other two lines referencing Bluetooth are automatic which I should be able to show now. I have noticed though that when my Bluetooth phones are connected that it buffers a lot on you tube.
Jim.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

In other words I just realized what I should do to print and paste a screen - or crop what I wanted in that screen. For that I needed Irfanview
Actually you don't need Irfanview, Windows already gives you the tools to do that.

I have noticed though that when my Bluetooth phones are connected that it buffers a lot on you tube.
Ok, two things here...
(a)Bluetooth is a lot slower than a WiFi or ethernet connection. .... It's typically used for transferring small chunks of data.
(b)Typically WiFi and Bluetooth both use the 2.4 Ghz frequency band, and this can cause them to interfere with each other.
So this could be your buffering problem.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
So putting a screen print can be done with W10 without Irfan view?
If a print screen is cast into memory and pasted on this page that is all?
I'll try it out.....
1650052019650.png

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
That worked fine. It might need to be cropped though. How does one do that? Also I might want to continue with some text. Is that possible?

Jim.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
It might need to be cropped though.
I've just taken a screen shot of my desktop and reduced it to 25% of the size.... but I could have just cropped the original.

screen.png

Also I might want to continue with some text.
You mean like this............

screen2.png

Windows makes things quite easy for you, the problem is that companys lead you to believe that you need something else.
I'll knock up some screenshots over the weekend and explain how to do all this, if your interested.

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

Just knocked up a few screenshots to show you what you can do with the free programs available within Windows.

I still use the old Windows Tool ...'Paint' ... simply because it's freely available on all versions of Windows.
Start >>> Windows Accessories >>> Paint.

paint1.png

If you wanted to reduce a screenshot in size ... Open the screen shot in 'Paint'
Click Resize, alter the percentage to whatever you want ... click OK when finished.
Your screenshot will be reduced.
It's that easy.

paint2.png

To add Text .... Open your pic in 'Paint'
Click the Add text box symbol ( the large A )
Then click on your pic where you want to add the text and drag the mouse to create a text box.

Paint3.png

Select the colour for the text and the font, then just type n the text box.
If you select 'Transparent' as the background ... the box will disappear once you click off it.

paint4.png

Another good free Windows tool is the 'Snipping Tool'.
This allows you to do a screenshot, a partial screenshot or even a random shape capture.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for that Starbuck it might take a while for it to sink in but I do forget all about paint because I have got used to the versatile Irfan view.
I found out why this desktop would not go on the net - I thought it had gone wrong again. I found and down loaded Ultimate AdBlock and I only found out because a notice said so. Well it was on the net so it must be true :).
Jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I've got UBlock Origen, but it has not stopped the ads on youtube. UltimatAddblock does (stop any ads that is) but it also stopped me going on the net. What else is there that works on YT? My older version of W10 must have been ok cuz UBlock Origen stopped them all and I still went on the internet. This version will not allow it.
Jim

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Strange .... I never get ads on You Tube when using uBlock Origin.
What it could be is .... are you logging into You Tube?
If you have a Google account ( or Gmail etc) Login to You Tube with that ...
I do get ads from You Tube on my android devices ... even when logging in.
My older version of W10 must have been ok cuz UBlock Origen stopped them all and I still went on the internet. This version will not allow it.
What version of Win10 are you running?
To find out:
Right click on Start (bottom left of screen)
Click System
Make sure that the About tab is selected.

My laptop is...
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎07/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19043.1645
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

Just a quick thought, there are different versions of uBlock Origin for Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Edge ..... are you using the correct version for the browser you are using?

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Ah ha! I do have some more info. It was usually late at night when this AIO desktop from HP decided to go on the blink. It has done it again since it was returned saying a component had worked loosed. I was playing with Solitaire and it just disappeared and closed it down. I came away from solitaire and tried other progs that had short cuts on the desktop and I got "Awe snap, unable to get the page - out of memory error". I got this message when ever I clicked on a shortcut.
It was always resolved by re-starting the computer. Speccy gives no indication of anything wrong though - assuming I'm using it correctly.
What memory is it using when operating for long periods like I do? That is the only time it happens though, late at night when it has been on since early morning.
Jim

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,
I got "Awe snap, unable to get the page - out of memory error". I got this message when ever I clicked on a shortcut.
What I find odd is that this error message seems to be a Google Chrome error.
Did you have the Chrome browser open at the time?
I came away from solitaire and tried other progs that had short cuts on the desktop
What shortcuts were these? where they internet shortcuts?
Chrome displays an error code or message when it runs into an issue. The “Aw, Snap!” error on your device signals that Chrome is having problems loading the page.
This could be due to poor network connectivity, low device memory, bad extensions, corrupt cache data, or problems with the site you're visiting.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks Starbuck for answering.
Using an internal (as apposed to a 'net') application like Solitaire to me, indicates a computer problem.
It happens on all browsers, Chrome. Edge, Firefox and Google as well as internal programs.
It only happens after the computer has been on a considerable time, I frequently am on the computer from 6.00 am. That indicates an accumulative memory problem to me.
The short cuts I mention are to favourite sites on the internet. But it also happens on internal programs such as solitaire.
Jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Did I have google chrome open at all?

Yes, it is my default browser. I did use other browsers as I said in an earlier post.

What version of W10 is in the computer?

Version 10.0.19044 Build19044.

Is the correct ublock origin used for differing browsers?

I will have to check this as I feel I only downloaded the one ublock origin for chrome. I have otherwise used google chrome for you tube. And yes I have myriads of ads.
Jim

Starbuck

Admin & Security Team
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Jim,

Let's check the system processes listed in the Task Manager and look for any problem applications that might be consuming excessive RAM.
  • Right click on the Windows task bar and select Task Manager.
  • Click on the Processes tab .... you will be able to see the percentage use at the top of each column.
  • If the Memory percentage is high.....
  • Sort the processes by Memory ( just click the top of the Memory column ... this will list the percentages in order ) then look for programs at the top of the list that are using the most resources.
This will give you an idea if the problem is caused by a program or not.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I followed what you said and the top of that list was google chrome with 288.0 MB variable so it was an actually real time measurement. The next in value was W Explorer with 80 something MB. Is that what was expected?
Is it zeroed when the computer is restarted?
Jim

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Yes, It zeros when re-started. I just tried it and whereas it had 6 google things running in that list, now it was only two at 0.4 MB.
Jim.

Top Bottom