• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Bang and spark at the end of the kettle plug type lead

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Yesterday the computer failed following the bang mentioned above. Initially I thought it was just the lead shorting out until I used another lead. It did the same thing! The flash and the bang came from the same area, the power supply and the end of the lead. Upon dismantling there was nothing to indicate that the power supply had caused the burning/smell. The leads were hot and the switch on the extension plug burnt out-it would not work. No one carries them in stock around here and I am obliged to use SWMBO's AIO Dell.
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
Hi,
If it has happened twice then DO NOT attempt to use this machine.

There is obviously a serious fault which would need to be looked at by a qualified tech / electrician.
Please DO NOT attempt to repair this yourself.

You could replace the PSU - which is most probably the cause - but DO NOT attempt to open up the PSU.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for the reply KenB. I did open the power supply but did not stick any digits inside as I know what capacitors are like. The computer is a few years old and has W7 as it's OS. I think I am ready to go new. I am unsure what is best
these days. Using the phone I found they charge £40.00 for them. I can get them online for something close to half of that.

The big prices seem to be in the gaming world, I am only in the domestic desktop. Amazon seems to have a lot of refurbished Dells. Is there a favourite place to buy and places to avoid?
Jim.

KenB

Administrator
Hi Jim,
I don't have a favourite place to buy from - in fact it is some time since I bought my last machine.

It sounds as if you are looking at buying a re-furbished one.
If you are looking at eBay then be careful who you use.
Look at their % and anything below, say, 95% I wouldn't bother.
Also check out the country of origin.

Amazon is now simply a market place.
You could set yourself up as a company and sell there.
So again, be careful if you intend buying from them.
Remember not all reviews are genuine.

Google is a great source of information.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Ok KenB, thanks for that. I'll drop down to Eastbourne and see what the shops are like there. Locally there is nothing, nowt. Zada!
Jim (SWMBO says that I am like a fish out of water without my PC)

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I got a laptop with W10 and a solid state drive. The trouble is I cannot get past the email section and it is stuck there, no matter what keys I press.
I've even tried rebooting and rebooting whilst holding the windows key down - nothing but that dreaded google password screen.
Jim.
PS I have tried the alt ctrl del buttons also!

Rustys

PC Experience
Some Experience
The trouble is I cannot get past the email section and it is stuck there
Just to clarify if this is during the registration of the system?
OR
Are you trying to configure you email address in windows so you can check you email?

What if any error messages come up?

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
It has talked me through set-up and then begins to link my mail addy with the computer. The password I have forgotten, I must have changed it at some point.
It will not change from that screen, no matter what buttons are pushed. Talk about frustrating!
Jim.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Have a good holiday KenB, I'm on permanent holls here :).
Hello Rusty, is this page ok or do you want to change it?
Jim.

Rustys

PC Experience
Some Experience
I will leave you in Rusty's capable hands as I am off on holiday for a few weeks :)
:behindsofa:

The password I have forgotten, I must have changed it at some point.
It will not change from that screen, no matter what buttons are pushed. Talk about frustrating!
If you have access to another system you could attempt a password reset then see if you can get past it using the new password. Fully understand the frustration part.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
I'm now on SWMBO's computer so I hope to get the photo's onto the forum (if I can remember how :) ).
jim.

4 plugs.jpg 4 plugs 2.jpg 4 plug 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Oh dear! I've made a mess of that. I'd have done better on the old machine that I'm used too.
I can retake them if its not clear :(.
Jim.

mij

Valued Donating Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for that. The long four pinned drive plug is a spare disk drive I think. It is the four pinned square shaped one that has me foxed as it is marked with the 12v heavy current
supply apparently to the motherboard. There is one on the old power supply but I can't remember where it was plugged. The text says it is the motherboard
supply but I cannot see where unless it is half of the eight pinned slot.
Jim.