• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Best Security Software

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hi,
Ive just completed a Full Recovery on my PC and am now looking to install some new security software.
I have got XP and just wanted some advice on the most effective products to install as iam a PC novice and would probably end up installing stuff that does the same job as other stuff.
Cheers Jude

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi judie;
There are many opinions on this. As maynard said check out the link by seth.

Antivirus-antispyware- firewall (xp has a firewall which is enabled by default with the latest service pack although it's not my first choice).

Which programs are you considering? That would help with individuall opinions.
Glad to see you want to secure your system. Good move.

On a side note based on your other posts you're still with AOL. You can use their branded version of Mcafee for an antivirus which I think is still free. I don't recommend that you stay with AOL or their software however. Completely removing AOL components can be problematic. Since you just did a full recovery now is the time to consider a new ISP as well as security options.

If you are already on AOL again then some of the above would be obvious or not relevant. What I'm saying is they have some of their own security software but I'm not a fan. Removing any such software completely including AOL itself can be problematic. Choose wisely.

RandyL

judierudie

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Yes Im stuck with AOL unfortunately. Just goes to show big isnt always best! Im going to take Seths advice and use his recomendations. Just out of interest what ISP would you guys recommend?
Cheers Jude

W

Wolfeymole

Without one shadow of a doubt Judie, pick Mr Bransons outfit Virgin Media.
I have Broadband, TV, Phone and a Mobile contract with them for a measly £40 a month.
Broadband has unlimited downloads with up to 4mb speed, the TV side has enough channels to choke a mule, Phone is free at evenings and weekends and the mobile gives me 100 minutes and 100 texts for a tenner.

Get it while it's hot love. :)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=14147

You of course must have cable installed in your area.

W

Wolfeymole

Your welcome Judie, by the way that 100/mins/texts applied because I got a mobile from them.
If you already have a virgin phone then get a SIM card for £10 with 300 mins + 300 texts.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi Judie.

If the full recovery included an installation of internet security, then you'll need to remove it before installing a new security suite.

Of the antimalware applications that I posted, if I had to choose one, I would go with SuperAntiSpyware (SAS for short). BTW- The name is for marketing purposes only, as SAS detects all forms of malware.

Anyway, here are my reasons for such:

1) I've been testing and using SAS for a year now. It has not only become my scanner of choice, but it's quickly becoming the scanner of choice for professional malware removal sites.

2) In my computer shop, I consistently use SAS to disinfect systems that are running Norton, AVG, and Mcafee, among others.

3) The cost is only $40.00 for a lifetime subscription key. That's right, you don't have to pay every year.

4) No system speed degradation.

5) Unparalleled customer support.

6) Guaranteed malware removal.

If you would like more information, please let me know.