• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

BIOS can't find second HDD

PC Experience
Very Experienced
Running a defrag at the best of times can cause some problems.
If you run a defrag on a drive that may be faulty then you could end up killing the drive completely
Why, thanks for making me paranoid Dalo! And don't worry, since I'm so lazy I haven't done anything but read webcomics and play Machinarium, which btw is an awesome game.

Pixelkitten

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Dalo, would you mind explaining why it would be such a disaster to defrag my HDD? I analyzed, and it needs to be defragged, and I'm not gonna give up a belief I've had for ten years just because you say so.

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
Because it is highly unlikely that you will find Dalo over the weekend I am posting a link to another forum where just 2 days ago a thread was started on this subject. I am only doing this because it was in reaction to a comment made by Dalo in yet another thread that really does not matter. However if you read Dalo supports his position in a number of posts on the thread.

To Defrag Or Not To Defrag? - Computer Help Forums

Note: If admins here feel this is inappropriate you may remove it. However I have only done this because it is directly on point and specifically refers to Dave. Most important he defends his position and answers the precise question raised and responds to those who offer different opinions.

Last edited:

Pixelkitten

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
I can agree with some of Dalo's points, but I still think I'm gonna defrag my drive. I do not keep vital system information on it, and if it indeed buys a farm, all I'll have lost is 200gigs of music, movies, and pics.

Maybe I'll backup my pics and music first. just to be on the safe side.

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
Maybe I'll backup my pics and music first. just to be on the safe side.
You really should be doing that on a regular basis no matter how you feel about fragmenting.

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Ha ha,

I'm here :eek:

Read the thread as Barry has asked, if you suspect a drive of failing then there can be some serious repercussions from defragging an 'underperforming' HDD :D

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
Sorry Dave, I am playing golf today so I related it to Saturday. This is, in fact, Friday.

Pixelkitten

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Well, I've had no problems since I put it back in, and SMART says it's ok, now that I've enabled it (dunno why it was turned off in the first place).

Btw, I got a new graphics card today! An ATI Radeon HD4850, nothing too fantastic, but a good step above my old Nvidia Geforce 7800! New HDD will have to wait a while yet though.

Plastic Nev

Deceased - sadly missed
Because it is highly unlikely that you will find Dalo over the weekend I am posting a link to another forum where just 2 days ago a thread was started on this subject. I am only doing this because it was in reaction to a comment made by Dalo in yet another thread that really does not matter. However if you read Dalo supports his position in a number of posts on the thread.

To Defrag Or Not To Defrag? - Computer Help Forums

Note: If admins here feel this is inappropriate you may remove it. However I have only done this because it is directly on point and specifically refers to Dave. Most important he defends his position and answers the precise question raised and responds to those who offer different opinions.

In this instance I feel we should leave this here and not delete it Beeceebee, as the whole subject does need some clarification, and in no way do I see it doing harm to either of the two forums either here or there.
Besides, I have asked a few pertinent questions there too. Watch out Wikipedia, I am on the rampage.

An edit to add, that if you can understand this, a lot of questions are answered here, not all of them, but most.
Defragmentation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards to all on this,
Nev.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Good call Plastic Nev. I agree with you and BeeCeeBee. The post should stand link and all.