• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

BIOS recognizes hard drive but won't boot Windows XP

I recently built my first custom PC actually today anyway everything is shinky and new except the hard drive (WD 800EB,80G,5400,IDE) which ipulled from my old PC. The drive was working great until i installed it in the new custom machine. BIOS recognizes it as master and i have the jumpers set as such but thats as far as i can get after BIOS posts i get the message telling me that Windows encountered a problem and giving me boot options start Windows normally,safe mode etc. but once i do start via normal,safe or command at first i got an error messsage telling me i might have a virus, or corrupt disk and to remove the drive or check the cables. I am fairly certain it is not any sort of virus as i just did a boot time scan acouple of days ago when it was in the old machine. The cables are connected properly and securley. I am getting anew drive in a few days but i was impatient so i tried the old one anyway i tried using a windows recovery disk with the same results except now no error message my machine just reboots over and over. Everythign else seems to be functionig properly my machine specs are as follows>(450W PS,AMD 3800+X2,ASUS A8S-X.NorthBridge SiS 756,South SiS 965L, 1G DDR400), and the hard drive to recap is a WD800EB,80G,5400 and IDE). The PC health function in my bios says everything else is good and again BIOS auto detcts the drive and regognizes it. I am guessing it got damaged somehow in the swap but i am a bit of a noob so i need some help please and thank you. a little ammedment here i just put the old drive back in the old machine and same deal i guess i damaged the drive...is it possible it could just need reformatted and partioned?

I figured out the problem, Windows sucks!! Popped in a Freespire CD installed booted great, had to get new audio drivers from ASUS but so what if that is the biggest issue with this new PC and Linux i am getting off easy! So i guess it was not a hardware issue after all. I know one thing windows is now officialy banned in my home!!!