• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Black screen

flushdraw

FPCH New Member
Hi everybody. I'm running a Windos 2000 Professional system on my pc, and i'm afraid i have i virus. My problem is that my screen seems to turn off just like that, whenever im surfing or just have a programme running. It says "no signal", and is just gone. If i try to turn it off and on again the same thing happens again, just this time right away. But if i wait an hour or two, i can get the pc functional again, but maybe just for half an hour or so. I have had this problem before, and sent it to some repairing shop. They said it was a virus that had gotten to the screencard and swapped it. It was good for a small period of time, but now its is back again. A recent addition is that the pc now says everytime i turn it on that the "loppy disk fail (40)" I sure hope you can help me. Thank you

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Since the probem came back, I think it's the monitor. Do you have one another monitor you can borrow for a whlie?

The next time it happens, try turning off just the monitor, not the comptuer. Wait an hour and turn the monitor back on and move the mouse around to wake it up. If the screen works, then it's the monitor. If not, it could be the video screencard.

The floppy disk failure is another issue. It's probably the floppy disk drive. I don't know how comfortable you are with opening computers, but you'd have to install a know good floppy disk drive to verify that it's the drive that has failed. Do you even use floppy disks? Most people don't anymore. So no need to worry about it.