• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Blank Screen

joani

FPCH Member
Hi I have a dell running windows xp home with sp2. I had a virus which I thought I'd got rid off so I shutdown as norm, but next day after windows logo and what sounds like hard loaded i got a black screen with a white mouse pointer and nothing else. When I ask to start in safe mode the same happens only with 'safe mode' in each corner again in black. I contacted dell and they ran tests on all hardware, it all said passed. Dell then told me to re-write windows but this has not changed anything. Is there any way to check for virus through Dos or do you have any suggestions. Dell are to call me again today but I don't think they will be much help :)

Hopefully
joani

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
That was a good step to try Safe Mode. If it were a virus, it probably wouldn't load in Safe Mode.

When you said you re-wrote Windows, can you explain what you did? Do you mean that you did an XP Repair using the XP Install CD or using some Dell-provided program?

Is this a laptop?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
I recommend you try the Dell full system recovery (not the CD). Note that this will restore the computer to the condition when you purchased it, as such any data such as pictures and documents will be erased.

Start the computer and press CTRL and F11 at the same time when you see the Dell screen. This can be tricky, so you might have to try it a few times. This procedure will initiate the full recovery. If this fails, then you most likely have a hardware problem.

joani

FPCH Member
Hi Peps, Dell tried that but it did not work, but we re-reformated and it has worked 2nd time around who knows why??:confused: Any way I am on windows and apart from a few glitches alls fine.

Sorry I couldn't get back online sooner to let you know - b/band playing up.
If I can't get the 'glitches' sorted I will be returning here for more help. Thank you all for your time.

Joani