• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Blu Ray Drive is nuts!

PC Experience
Some Experience
I have a Acer Aspire M3802 with Windows 7 Home Premium with a blur ray drive and crappy ACer Arcade deluxe as a bluray playback software.
As of yesterday no longer works, i ended up unistalling it as it would not respond even after multiple updates. Installed Power DVD Ultra 8,9,and 10 on seperate occassions but no playback.
Instead i get region code menu thing and this error code: 800401F9 Internal Error.
The drive plays DVD's and even can read the blurays but no playback.
PLease help, i can't take this anymore!
:confused:

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
Have you been playing DVDs or BRs from different regions? Keep in mind that Windows only allows a certain number of playbacks from different regions and then requires you to make a choice. This is part of windows and not the player. Everything will seem to work fine until you try a DVD from a different region. Once you have selected a default region you are stuck with it. Region 1 is the USA and 2 the UK and Western Europe.

PC Experience
Some Experience
i have only been playing region 2 dvd's and Region B blu rays, is there somewhere in windows where i may change it to default to region B?

DSTM

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Missed BeeCeeBee's post.Deleted mine.

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
Blu Ray region B or B2 is the same as region 2 in a DVD. The fact that you are using Windows 7 leads me to believe that the problem is not with the region unless you have been playing region A discs. Once Windows "finalizes" a region there is not much you can do other than a clean formatted installation of Windows.

There may be software around that can help but since they would be designed to circumvent copyright laws and would literally force you to create an illegal disc from a legal one such programs would probably have their own inherent dangers.

In any event we are not at the point that we have determined that region is the issue, I was only replying to one aspect of your post.

PC Experience
Some Experience
The BD drive is set to region 2, with 5 changes remaining. and region 2 dvds work, should i try a region 1 in the same drive? would it help if i added screen shots too.......?
what is the error code: 800401F9 Internal Error all about?

PC Experience
Some Experience
I've read the article but it's kinda gone a bit over my head......i do recognize now its a DLL error but how could i sort this out in order to playback Blu Rays.......

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
There is a possibility that the problem may be related to either the hardware itself or the drivers for the device. A good first step in trying to sort out optical drive problems is to download and install the latest drivers.

If you go to your device manager it will tell you what the make and model of the actual dvd/cd/br drive. From that we should be able to locate the proper drivers. Does this machine come with a driver disc or tools disc of any kind?

CDs and DVDs use different components (lasers) to read the data. The fact that one format may work is not a true test of a properly working drive.

Last edited:
PC Experience
Some Experience
it's an ATAPI BD O DH4O1S,
device type is dvd/cd rom drives
manufacter is (standard CD rom drives)

I did update the drivers through windows automatically checking the net but it said it was up to date.

that seems odd to me?

Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver date : 21/06/2006
Driver version: 6.1.7600.16385
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

it came with my machine, i have back up disc but no driver discs

Last edited: