• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Boot Problem

Deano

FPCH Member
I have a problem when booting my pc and was wondering if anyone knew what it can be.

when I boot my pc it will not turn the monitor on,the fans and lights on the motherboard are working but no front power light or hd activity.

to get it to work so far i have set the jumper to clear the bios waited 30 minutes then switched jumper back then turned pc on and all worked fine.

i have tried waiting 5 minutes with the same thing but to no success.
When i shut the pc down and turn it back on again it doesnt work.

(a pc restart does work however) my system details are below

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM™ X4 9500 (2.2GHz) 4 x 512K L2 Cache (Socket AM2+)
Memory (RAM)
2GB CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz - LIFETIME WARRANTY! (2x1GB)
Motherboard
ASUS M3A: AM2+, DUAL DDR II, S-ATA II, 3 PCI, 2 PCI-E
Operating System
Windows Vista
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS (4 REAR + 2 FRONT) AS STANDARD
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
80GB SERIAL ATA II HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st CD/DVD Drive
20x Dual Layer LightScribe DVD Writer ±R/±RW/RAM
Graphics Card
512MB GEFORCE 8400GS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT
Sound Card
8 Channel Realtek ALC883 High Definition Audio

Any help would be appreciated

W

Wolfeymole

They?
Who's they?
If you procured the pc from a reputable supplier and it is not working then send it back.
Why are you messing about with bios jumper settings Deano?

Deano

FPCH Member
Because i hate waiting for things to be done if i dont find a fix i will send it back (I have checked all cables and stuff are all seated correctly)
Just seems like a weird problem that no one has had before

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
If you have to keep clearing the bios to get the computer to turn on, then it's most likely the bios is having a problem with a component, or the motherboard is defective.

Try one ram stick at a time, and If the mobo has onboard video, then remove the video card and try the onboard video. If that doesn't work, check for a bios update on the motherboard's site.

Deano

FPCH Member
Ok I turned the pc off last night and it would not boot back up again.

Came and turned it on today worked first time how strange.(without playing with jumper settings.

tried 1 stick of ram to no joy.
there is only 1 gfx card (no onboard card) and not got a spare to try.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Are you hearing any fan noise now when it doesn't boot up? Does anything now appear on the screen?

Deano

FPCH Member
its the same as it was before Seth i have tried everything that has been suggested. It's just strange that it will not reboot straight after I shut down i have to wait at least 30 minutes before i can turn it on again.

Yes fans are working everywhere motherboard light is green i am lost to the reason behind it.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Unfortunately, at this point it's a matter of swapping out/removing components to find the culprit. Since you have no extra components, then you have no choice but to call whoever sold you the computer.

Deano

FPCH Member
ok thanks for all the help but i don't want to have to remove stuff cuz it voids the warranty and if its a major problem i don't want to spend more money.

Thanks again:) (PC will work again after being off for 15 minutes. not tried waiting more than 3 minutes and less than 15, will try 10 minute wait later lol

W

Wolfeymole

Seth is not asking you to remove anything Deano.
Just send it back in the condition that it came in.

Deano

FPCH Member
OK just to let everyone know thats I have fixed the pc it now works without any problems.

I called the place where i got it from and they said i am allowed to remove the inards without voiding the warranty.

The GFX card was the fault of the problem when i re-inserted it it booted first time i did a few shutdowns and restarts without a problem.

Thank You for all the help that has been provided.