• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

boot up and switching off issues

booyaka

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
Hello

these two faults may be related or seperate i dont know

Everytime i turn my PC on it says (if i can remember as im on my laptop now) DSS settings not set or correct and time setting not set, so when my front screen boots up everytime i have to set the time and date.

the second issue is that nine times out of ten after ten mins my pc decides to re boot all on its own, which means i lose any data i was working on

any advice most welcome

thanks

booyaka

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
sorry yes thats the word CMOS.

Its Packard Bell and im running Windows XP with microsoft professional

would the battery be the factor for both issues? the time etc and the switiching off after ten mins?

booyaka

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
oh and when i mean it switches off it switches off and restarts without me doing anything, this happens nine times out of ten

not every time but its very annoying :)

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Not sure if it's the culprit for the reboot (probably not) but it is probably the issue for the time being off.

Once you have the CMOS battery replaced and the time set correctly we can work on the rebooting issue.

Do you have the Microsoft critical updates installed on your system? Are you running Windows Service Pack 2 ?