• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

boot up

swade.i

FPCH New Member
I am running Vista and have made chkdsk (checkdisk) enabled on boot now I want to stop it from going all through the checks as it takes so long and my laptop is new. Sorry that I can't recall what I did so that I could reverse it! Put it down to a senior moment!
Swade.i

Well on XP it was simple

Click START - RUN then type CMD press enter

now type fsutil dirty query D: (your drive here for example D: ) this will querie the drive and probably tell you its dirty

next type CHKNTFS /X D: (again your drive here for example D: ) the X will tell it not to check that drive on startup

Reboot

Run a manual checkdisk Chkdsk /f /r d:

finally run fsutil dirty query d: and it should be clean

a lot of things remain the same on Vista so i hope this works ill check back later

jimta01

FPCH New Member
Hi
I have just used upgrade disk for vista and it seems to be running ok,
But on start up or restart it keeps stopping at,

Windows Boot Manager with highlight your choice windows vista already highlighted press enter or in 30 secs it will do it auto,

Can anyone help to get this to boot automatically like it did on XP without keep stopping at this screen other than that it seems fine ? i hope.

Best Regards
Jim.

W

Wolfeymole

Welcome to Free PC Help Jim

Will you please repost this as a new thread in the Vista forum please.