• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Booting up problem

Rodriguez

FPCH Member
Hi was hoping someone would be able to help find the problem with this.
When i plug the computer in it turns itself on without having to press the button, then while booting up i get 2 beeps then the following error msg.

System configuration data updated
Error
0271: check date and time settings
Error
0251: system cmos checksum bad - default configuration used

Woulda thought it was the cmos battery but the starting up when plugged in seemed like a different fault maybe the power source?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi Rodriguez

Welcome to Free PC Help.

The checksum error is normally the CMOS battery, so try replacing that.

Can you see what BIOS you have (Award, Phoenix, etc.)?

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Rodriguez

Maynard is entirely correct in his advice to you, but I have to ask are you unplugging the computer from the electricity supply on a regular basis?
If so this is not good practice.

Rodriguez

FPCH Member
Thanks MAYNARDVDM its the phoenix bios. Seems like it would be the battery but can that make the computer start up on its on when plugged in, because there was nothing wrong with the it till it started doing that.

Rodriguez

FPCH Member
Thanks a lot wolfeymole the problem seems to me to be the computer starting up when i put the plug in i doubt the cmos battery can cause this but i will leave it plugged and see if this makes any difference :)

W

Wolfeymole

Leave the computer plugged in as I say all the time from now on.
It may well be that the battery has reached the end of it's life and you will know this when you restart tomorrow and the time in the system tray is wrong.
I'm presuming you have now set it back to the correct time yes?
If the battery is ok then the correct time will be displayed.

W

Wolfeymole

Ok, follow all that has been offered so far and should you encounter any other issues then do not hesitate to get back to us at any time, or feel free to browse these forums for other information. :)